Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Library Loot- January 14-20



Woohoo! A new week and more new books from the library. You gotta love it :) I had the rare opportunity of going to the library by myself (a luxury for sure) this week which is why I picked up a few more than usual. Don't ask me how I am going to read all of these as I haven't quite figured that one out for myself. It still didn't stop me though so here they are:

  • The World Without Us by Alan Weisman- I've been hearing about this one all over the internet and couldn't resist. Yay!

  • Hold My Hand by Serena Mackesy- Look what you can find when you actually browse through the books. The back of the book has it likened to "a modern day Rebecca" so I couldn't resist.

  • Call of the Highland Moon by Kendra Leigh Castle- I accidentally read the 2nd one in this series and LOVED it so I'm going back to the first one.

  • Glass Houses by Rachel Caine- 1st in a series and YA challenges

  • "A Problem From Hell" America and the Age of Genocide by Samantha Power- This is for the World Citizen challenge and I can't wait to crack this one open.

  • Carpe Demon by Julie Kenner- Another browsing find.

I totally scored on library books this week :) I'm almost halfway thru The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison. I'm enjoying it so far but I'm kinda waiting for the shoe to drop. You know it is a sad story...it basically tells you that in the first few pages and I'm just waiting till I get there. It is a really good read so far and I can't believe that this is the first book that I've read by this author. That is it out of until next week. If you wanna play along, click on the picture and it will take you to Eva's post.

12 comments:

  1. I read both Call of the Highland Moon and the second in the series and loved them both!!

    Looks like you got quite the haul from the library...I only got two this week - still reading Outlander - LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kara- I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed this book. I am really looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Dark Highland Fire first too and I have Call of the Highland Moon on my desk. I really need to get through my stack before I even think of venturing to the library. There are too many good books in it to ignore.

    I liked Glass House but it was border line too YA for me. It kind of emphasizes the main characters age a little too much for me, but I've read the sequel to it and I'm still interested in the series. I can't wait to hear what you have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did this this week too. Love the Morganville vampire series! Hope you enjoy Glass House! Carpe Demon isn't half bad either

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jackie- I just can't resist the library sometimes :) I read the first book in Caine's Weather Warden series and liked it. I'm hoping to enjoy this series as well.

    Ladytink- I'll go check out your post! I heard that Carpe Demon was funny which is why I picked it up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol....I grabbed books from the library yesterday too and and hoping I can read them all as well :)

    I loved Carpe Demon!! I think you will like it, its very 'buffy the vampire slayer', but all grown up with a hubby and kids. That was a very random library find for me too.

    Looking forward to your Toni Morrison review, I read Sula, and liked it.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maggie- It does sound like fun and I'm excited to read it :)

    Naida- Thanks for the info on Carpe Demon. Now I'm really excited to read it. I have Sula on my shelf but haven't read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you like The Bluest Eye, it's one of my favorite books. It's the last few pages that are the saddest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. N.Vasillis- I really did enjoy reading The Bluest Eye even though it was sad. Morrison is a very talented writer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A Problem From Hell is sooooooo good, but it made me cry a ton as well. Can't wait to see what you think of it. :) Call of the Highland Moon sounds fun just from the title!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eva- I've started A Problem From Hell and can already tell that is going to be good but difficult reading. I'm so glad that I'm reading it though :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)