Friday, March 20, 2009

Glass Houses by Rachel Caine

Glass Houses is the first book in the Morganville vampire series and it was a great start to this YA series. Claire is beginning her first year of college and although she is only sixteen, she is very smart for her age. In the dorm where Claire lives, a girl named Monica and her friends/followers don't like Claire though and Claire finds her life in serious danger. She finds a place to live at the Glass house with 3 other misfits and begins to learn more about the town of Morganville. And the dangers that lurk in the dark...

What a beginning to this new-to-me series! It was fast paced action throughout the novel and I was turning pages as fast as I could. Claire was a strong willed sixteen year old and I liked her from the start. When she moves into the Glass house she makes friends and these were all strong characters as well. I loved the dangerous spin on vampires that Rachel Caine used within this story and am SO curious as to where the story will go from here. My only qualm with this book is that Claire made decisions that at some points didn't seem very realistic. For her being as smart as she was portrayed, she didn't use the best common sense at times. And a warning to readers that it does end with a bit of a cliffhanger. I was warned ahead of time so it didn't bother me other than wanting to pick up the next book soon. Figured I should extend the same courtesy to all of you :) All in all though, I was hooked with this story and am anxious to continue on with this series. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys reading about vampires or any types of paranormal books.
My Rating/Recommendations: 4 out of 5 and recommended to paranormal lovers!
Challenges: YA Challenge, 1st in a Series Challenge, 100+ Book Challenge

15 comments:

  1. So glad you liked this one! This is one of my favorite series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this one too. I won #6 so now I've got to finish the rest!!

    Great review Sam!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd never heard of this series before. It sure does sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ladytink- I'm glad to hear that you enjoy this series so much! I'm looking forward to the 2nd book.

    Staci- Thanks Staci! I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts on the rest of this series

    Dar- It is a YA series and I really liked this first book. You should give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I started this book, I really wasn't sure about it. But by the time it ended, I really enjoyed it. Of course, that damned cliff-hanger ending about mad eme through my book!!

    I just picked up 3, 4 and 5 at B&N the other day. (I read Dead Girl's Dance and liked it even better than this one!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stephanie- I'm glad to hear you like this series so much. I would have been really mad too if I didn't know beforehand that it would end in a cliffhanger. I can't wait to get the 2nd book from the library!

    ReplyDelete
  7. how do i miss all these books?!!? i must be busy doing laundry or something. i never even heard of this series and now i have to stack it on to the precarious pile that is my TBR stack.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read this one last year ( I think) and while I liked it, I didn't love it enough to seek out the second one. There are so many great series that sometimes I make the decision not to follow up on one or another. I do like her Weather Wardens series a lot though

    ReplyDelete
  9. Booklineandsinker- I know what you mean...there are so many series out there. This is definitely one that I would give a try though :)

    Lisa- I have the 2nd book in her Weather Warden series checked out from the library. I did like this series and am looking forward to the 2nd book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gotta read this book! I've been meaning to....you know how it goes.

    =(

    Too many books...not enough time...booger!

    ReplyDelete
  11. JKaye- This will go really fast for you when you do get time to read it as it is short and fast paced. I'll keep an eye out for your review :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've heard so many good things about this one. It's definitely on my list. I love that cover too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Iliana- It is a great cover, isn't it? It was good so you'll have to let me know when you read it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like this series! I have book five here to read, so I need to get around to it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kailiana- I need to request the 2nd book from the library. I'm also reading her weather warden series and need to request the 2nd book in that series too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)