Sunday, January 12, 2014

The Sunday Salon (2014 Goals and Books)

Good morning everyone!  It was back to the grind this week and although I wasn't ready for a full week of work, it didn't go too badly.  It is nice to be back into a routine again but my kids were definitely not quite ready for it.  LOL!  My oldest especially likes to sleep in which makes me realize that sooner rather than later I will have a teenager on my hands.  Where does the time go?  Anyways, 2014 is already moving along and I realized yesterday that I still haven't taken the time to share with you all my goals for the new year.  Before I continue to procrastinate even further (and then eventually never do it), I thought I would quickly share my plans for the new year.

  • Read more of my own books- This one is a given.  I read 76 books last year but only a very small portion of them were off of my own shelves.  And with the number of times that I bought books last year...well...this is going to have to change.  This also means accepting fewer review copies (damn you NetGalley) and maybe a few less book tours.  I try to always mix my review books with books that are for pleasure and just because but I want to do this even more.   So read more of my own books!
  • Work out consistently.  Hahaha...I think that I am repeating my goals from last year!  I've started out the new year pretty well with this so far but I NEED to stick with it.  I'm bound and determined to shed a few of the pounds that I seem to keep gaining over the years.  And I just want to be healthier.  It is that simple.
  • Finish some of the projects that I have planned.  I'm the queen of procrastination so this one is going to be hard for me.  But I really need to follow through and finish up some of my projects that I have had planned for years.  An example would be learning to crochet and knit.  Finishing up redecorating my bedroom.  Organizing all of my closets.  You get the picture, right?  There are a bunch of things that I always say that I'm going to do but then never get done.  This is the year that I'm going to knock a few things off of that list. 
Three goals is enough for me this year I'm thinking.  Now let's see if I can actually stick to ALL of them.  That will be the biggest accomplishment of all!  Anyways, let's move on to the books!   Since this is my first Sunday Salon post for the new year I'm going to catch you up with everything that I have read so far this year.  I've recently finished the following books:


Starter House by Sonja Condit was my first read of the year and definitely an interesting way to start off the new year.  This was a spooky read that left me turning the pages in anticipation of just what would happen next.  I read this one for a TLC Book Tour and my full thoughts on it will be shared this Tuesday. 

Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews was SUCH a good read!  Whew!  I flew through this book and just couldn't get enough.  I'm so glad that I've made it a goal to catch up with this series because I think that it is definitely going to be worth my time.  I'm planning on writing up my thoughts on this one and for Magic Bites as well that will hopefully go up this week.  Maybe mini reviews?  I haven't decided for sure yet. 

In audio, I finished listening to Postmortem by Patricia Cornwell this week.  The interesting thing to listening to books that you have already read is that you find things that you missed when previously reading.  But I will talk more about that when I write up my thoughts.  I'm currently reading the following books:


Forbidden is for a TLC book tour at the end of the month.  And although The Winter People is also a review copy it is one of my most anticipated reads for the new year so I'm not complaining.  I'm reading this one on my ipad and have once again pushed back A Study in Silks.  On audio, I'm currently listening to Ceremony in Death by J.D. Robb. 

Whew!  That is enough out of me for one day.  I'm hoping to get lots of laundry done today, a little bit of reading in both of my current reads, and a few reviews written.  If I can get that all done then this will count as a success!  Oh yeah, and 28 days until The Walking Dead returns!  I cannot wait!

Happy Sunday and happy reading!

7 comments:

  1. Good luck with your goals and reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sound like great goals!! Maybe each month focus on one of the projects you want to tackle--that way you're not thinking about all of them at the same time and it might feel more manageable? Good luck with the reading goal--it's one that I try to keep in mind as well. Hard when half of my yearly reads are book club books out of my control.

    Happy New Year! And children who sleep in sounds kind of nice. I'm guessing we have several years to go. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great goals! I'm with you on working out more and also reading more from my book stacks. Hope you have a great Sunday and looking forward to your reviews. The Winter People book looks interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've already finished the McMahon book ... Am dying to hear your thoughts!

    I've been really working hard at working out ... We have plans to go see my best friend get married in the Dominican Republic. That means I have to be swimsuit ready by June 13th..... HA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with your craft projects! I'm probably going to have the same goal next year -- this year I've got dozens of projects planned, and my goal is to start them. I'm sure by next January I'll have a dozen things started and not finished. :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennifer Mcmahon is pushing them out consistently, I have 2 on my shelf that I haven't got to and seem to be seeing her new ones every year.

    Great resolutions, personal and book related. Last year I had a lot of personal stuff going on and it lacked in the reading area. The opposite of you, I am going to read more Netgalley books, accept review ones more and go for my Thrill Week again - overall more networking around the blogs again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really had to fight to get myself out of bed yesterday morning and go into work. I made it though. :-) And I didn't even have any days off last week! I've just been so tired lately. I really need to get caught up with Ilona Andrew's series. Every time I see the author's name I remember all those books I have sitting on my shelves waiting to be read!

    The Jennifer McMahon book looks like it's a good one. I can't wait to read your thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)