Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Dragon Awakened by Jaime Rush (thoughts)

Summary from Goodreads:

"Ruby Salazaar wants answers…and revenge. Her uncle has just been murdered before her eyes and the name he utters with his final breath—Cyntag—leads Ruby into a world beyond her wildest imaginings. She soon learns that the dark, sexy Cyntag Valeron knows more about her than she does herself."

My Thoughts:

Dragon Awakened is one of those books that I wanted to read based on the premise alone.  Dragon shapeshifters?  Hell yeah!  I've only read a few books featuring dragons and they really worked for me so I couldn't resist jumping at the chance to read this.  I'm glad that I did because this book was actually really good.  

This book jumped into the action from the very beginning and didn't let up until the last page.  It made for an intense reading experience because everything happens so fast that I just couldn't keep up.  I loved it!  I read this book in a matter of days because it was just so easy to keep going and I didn't want to set it down.  Ruby is a pretty cool main character.  She takes everything new that she is learning about this new world of hers  with a healthy dose of suspicion and resistance...but she also adjusts to in a manner that came across realistically.  Well, as realistically as can be when you are talking dragon shapeshifters.  LOL!  I also really appreciated the fact that it took time for her to fully trust Cyntag.  She didn't just fall into his arms and do whatever he said.  She thought for herself and acted based on her own instincts.  You don't always see that in some books in this genre.  

Overall, I ended up really enjoying this one.  If I had any complaints it would be that I was surprised to hear that the second book in this series will be about new characters.  I actually would like to read more about Ruby and Cyntag because I feel like we just grazed the surface on them as a couple.  But hopefully the next book will also involve them a little bit.  I'm definitely eager to continue on with this series, and am looking forward to reading more by this author.  If you are a fan of paranormal romance or even urban fantasy then I would definitely give this book a try.  For me it was easily a good read bordering on very good.  Recommended!

Bottom Line:  A gripping beginning to this paranormal romance series, and one that I had a hard time setting down!

Disclosure:  I was sent a copy of this book from the publisher for review.  Thoughts on it are my own.

P.S. - If you were wondering about the other dragon paranormal romances that I loved check out Kendra Leigh Castle's MacInne's Werewolf Trilogy.  The romance features werewolves but dragon shapeshifters are also involved. Highly, highly recommended!

3 comments:

  1. I'm not really into paranormal romances and much less dragons but you make this one sound fun! I don't know, maybe I need to give a book like this a chance and I might be surprised :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read about dragon shapeshifters! So cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like good paranormal romance. You know what I've noticed, all these people are tattooed on the cover. Must be a trend in the genre.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)