Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Sunday Salon - Book Group Reads


Good morning everyone! I cannot tell you the last time that I participated in the Sunday Salon....it has definitely been awhile. We got our first batch of snow on the ground and the kids couldn't be more excited. They HAD to go outside that night and check it out which resulted in lots of fun and rosy red cheeks :) I snapped up this picture while they were in the midst of their fun, and I couldn't help but laugh. My youngest had gone down the slide and couldn't get up. He was like the little kid on A Christmas Story. Ha! It was too funny and I just can't help but smile when I look at this picture :)


It's been a busy reading week for me as I've been able to finish up two books. The first one that I finished was My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier. OH MY GOODNESS!!! Why did I wait so long to read more by this author??? This book literally knocked my socks off with its' atmosphere...and all I can say is wow! I have yet to write up my thoughts on it but expect a gushing post. And I think that a reread of Rebecca is definitely in order now. I also was able to finish The Pleasure of Your Kiss by Teresa Medeiros. This was a really good romantic read that swept me away. I was left wanting more when I finished which is obviously a good thing :) Hopefully I will get my thoughts up on this one as well this week.



My experience with reading My Cousin Rachel left me wishing though that I had read this book with someone. That I had no one to discuss it with after I finished was kind of a bummer because it was SO good. And there was so much to talk about. This is a definite kind of book club type of read (at least I think that it would be a good one). So I started browsing the different online book groups that I am in (although I'm not a regular participant in any) for a group read that looked interesting. Because I want to discuss books with others after I read them especially books like that. I checked out a few books from the library that the book groups are reading but I'm mainly focusing on the Goodread's group Bookworm Bitches. They seem to be a really active group and there are always 4 different reads that I can choose from for each month. Which brings me to the book I've chosen to begin reading which is Orange is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison by Piper Kerman. I don't think I read any nonfiction last year (awful!) so this is going to be a good change of pace for me. And I was thinking I should extend the offer...does anyone want to read this one with me???? Don't feel pressured if you have too many books on your plate already but if you are interested then just leave a comment or email me. It sounds like an interesting read just from the title alone.



Before this post gets any longer, I'll wish you all a good week....happy reading!

12 comments:

  1. awww....he is just too cute! Wow you guys got alot of snow.

    I have been meaning to read Daphne du Maurier forever, glad you enjoyed the book that much.
    I know what you mean, sometimes I wish I had someone to chat my last book with. That's one of the main reasons I created my book blog in the first place...lol.
    Orange is the New Black sounds good, I'll check if my library carries it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That photo had me laughing...and I thought the exact same thing when I saw he couldn't get up!! Your books this way sound fantastic!!!! I'm very excited about your reviews because I know for a fact that I will be adding them to my list!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE that picture so much!! And it brings back so many memories from when I was growing up in Toronto. I'm kind of sad that Elle won't really know snow growing up but hope that we can take some trips to snowy places.

    I haven't heard of My Cousin Rachel!! But you have me so curious with your desire to discuss.

    Hope you have a beautiful week Sam!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you, I really have to read de Maurier. I have no idea what stopped me..ok the library cos the only copy they got in English has a tiny font

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that picture! We're supposed to get snow today, so far it's just gray.

    I used to love Medeiros, and then she got a little too far off main for me. I should try a more recent one.

    I've read Orange is the New Black. I think I talked about it on the blog... somewhere. It was ok, not awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I know that feeling of finishing a book and wanting to discuss it right away. And when you try to talk about it with someone who hasn't read it, they get that far away look in their eye because they're not following. LOL

    Adorable picture!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great picture! I've read great things about My Cousin Rachel. I hope to get to it one day. I would love to read Orange is the New Black with you but I am so behind in reading now. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed My Cousin Rachel! I read it soon after reading Rebecca and then haven't read du Maurier since. I have to remedy that...

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Mum is currently reading Rebecca, so I'll tell her you recommend My Cousin Rachel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We finall got snow too and Sam was thrilled but then the bitter cold came and even he wasn't too pleased with that. I love tha pic of your youngest. Too many clothes and you can't get up. Lol.

    I have never read My Cousin Rachel but have heard it's good. I've only read Frenchman's Creek by her and I loved it. I really want to read Rebecca by her soon! If you were reading anything other than non-fiction I might join in but non-fiction isn't my favorite thing to read.

    Hope you had a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoyed this one. It was different and enlightening.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Naida- You must read Du Maurier...you just must! I guarantee that you will enjoy her :)

    Staci- This picture makes me laugh every time I look at it. Absolutely priceless...

    Trish- We really didn't get all that much snow this year so you aren't missing out :) But I guess we still could so I better not jinx us. LOL!

    Blodeuedd- I hope that you get the chance to read her at some point. She is fast becoming one of my favorite authors!!

    Lisa- Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Orange is the New Black. I checked it out from the library but have yet to crack it open :/ I'm going to go back and read some of Medeiros older books. Are there any that you would definitely recommend?

    Missie- Yes! That is exactly it. Sometimes I wish that I belonged to a real life book group but then I can never seem to find the time.

    Vasilly- I hope that you get the chance to read it at some point because it is going on my top ten reads this year most likely :)

    Kailana- I can't wait to read more by her! I'm thinking Jamaica Inn next or maybe some of her short stories. It is going to be hard to decide :)

    Nikki-Ann- Let me know what she thinks when she finishes, will you???

    Darlene- I haven't read Frenchman's Creek but I'm adding it to my wishlist right now!

    Heavenisabookstore- I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it as well. Have you read Rebecca???

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)