Sunday, February 14, 2010

Tainted by Julie Kenner


From Goodreads: (I tried to do my own summary but it was just too hard to do it without giving anything away)


"Lily Carlyle has lied, cheated, and stolen her way through life.
But in death, she'll really get to be bad...
When her little sister is brutalized, a vengeful Lily determines to exact her own justice. She succeeds at the cost of her own life, but as she lies dying, she is given a second chance. Lily can earn her way into Paradise by becoming an assassin for the forces of good.
It's the job Lily believes she can really get into-but she doesn't realize that she may not be able to get out."


My Thoughts:


Tainted was a great beginning to a new urban fantasy series. Lily is a strong main character but she has flaws that the reader knows about from the beginning. She doesn't pretend to be good, the most important thing to her is her sister and she died trying to protect her. So really, you can't help but like her right off of the bat. But what makes this story interesting is the changes that Lily is facing throughout the story. She has to deal with the fact that she died, that she has come back from the dead, and that she is now an assassin fighting against demons from the dark side. The book has lots of action throughout it which made it a suspenseful read. Plus, Lily is always questioning everything which made me question things as well. The last part of the book was hands down the best part of the story but that was because I was thrown for a loop. Can't give you any more than that though without spoiling the book for you. Suffice it to say that I am eager to get my hands on Torn, which is the next book in this series.


All in all, a great beginning to this series and one that I am looking forward to continuing. I would recommend this book to urban fantasy fans but be warned that the ending is left open for the next book in the series.


Disclaimer: Got this one from the library!
*I read this book for the following challenges:
1st in a Series Challenge
2nds Challenge
Support Your Library Challenge
Speculative Fiction Challenge
100+ Reading Challenge
Fantasy Reading Challenge
"K" Author for the A-Z Challenge (personal)

6 comments:

  1. Sam, I like the new look for your blog!

    I must admit I haven't read that much urban fantasy--but this sounds good. I really should Google this genre to learn more. Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read a lot of urban fantasy but this sounds like a great start!! I always let goodreads do my summary!! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its been a while since I read Julie Kenner, I may have to pick her up again.
    great review!
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for this one. I've become a fan of urban fantasy and I'm always looking for new recommendations.

    BTW, I've got an award for you: http://allbookedup-elena.blogspot.com/2010/02/blog-award-one-lovely-blog.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog looks fantastic Sam! This book sounds pretty good too! I hope the baby and you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Suko- Thanks! I got bored with the background and decided I needed a change ;0)

    Staci- I do especially when the plot is complicated and I feel like if I do my own summary I will give something important away.

    Naida- I've only read one other book by Kenner and that was Carpe Demon. I still need to review that one so maybe I'll get to it at some point this week.

    Elena- Thank you for the award! I have another one that I need to post about so hopefully I will get to them soon. Thank you again!

    Dar- The baby is doing wonderfully! He is growing everyday and I can't wait to go to the doctor and hear how much he has grown ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)