Monday, February 1, 2010

Once Bitten, Twice Shy by Jennifer Rardin

In Once Bitten, Twice Shy, we meet Jaz Parks who is an assasin for the C.I.A. and is partnered up with a very powerful vampire named Vayl. Their newest assignment is to take out a plastic surgeon who has to ties to a dangerous group of terrorists. But Jaz and Vayl soon find out that their assignment is more complicated than they thought and before they know it they are up against an ancient evil.

Will someone please tell me how I have not heard more about this author before?? This book rocked and I was swept away within the story. Jaz is a great main character: she's strong but has her weak points, is a bit haunted, and has a mysterious past (although there is light shed on some of it). And Vayl is just awesome in my opinion. Jaz respects him a lot but can't seem to figure out why he chose her to be his partner. It gives Vayl and his motivations an air of mystery which added to the story. The chemistry between the two is great and makes me really excited to see how their relationship develops further along in the series because right now they are strictly partners. The story was fast paced and exciting and I flew through this book in a matter of days. The storyline itself was original and I found that the details surrounding the ancient evil to be very interesting (I'm not saying any more in fear of spoilers). Suffice it to say that I couldn't get enough of this book while I was reading it and am already itching to get my hands on the 2nd book.

All in all, a promising beginning to a new to me series and a series that I will most definitely be continuing on with. I'd recommend this book to anyone that enjoys urban fantasy or a good paranormal read.

Disclaimer: I checked this one out from the library too.
*I read this for the following challenges:
New Author Challenge
1st in a Series Challenge
Speculative Fiction Challenge
Support Your Library Challenge
100+ Reading Challenge
Series Challenge Season 4
"O" Title for A-Z Challenge (personal)

7 comments:

  1. I don't usually read paranormal books but this sounds quite good. Thanks for a great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wanting to read this series for a while now...your great review just pushed it up on my TBR pile!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must tell my friend about this one!! She loves vampires!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suko- I'm going to admit to being a huge urban fantasy fan..I think that this would be classified as that or as dark fantasy. It was really good either way.

    Kara- I'm sure you would enjoy this one.

    Staci- Definitely! Although it wasn't just about vampires..there were other creatures involved as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to read this book. Great review. Thanks for the tip Staci!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read a few of these and really liked them but I'm WAY behind in this series.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheryl- I bet that you would enjoy it if you enjoy paranormal books or urban fantasy. I really liked it myself!

    Ladytink- I'm really excited to pick up the 2nd book in this series. How far are you into the series?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)