Friday, January 22, 2016

Eeny Meeny by M.J. Arlidge (thoughts)

Summary from Goodreads:

"Two people are abducted, imprisoned, and left with a gun. As hunger and thirst set in, only one walks away alive.

It’s a game more twisted than any Detective Helen Grace has ever seen. If she hadn’t spoken with the shattered survivors herself, she almost wouldn’t believe them.

Helen is familiar with the dark sides of human nature, including her own, but this case—with its seemingly random victims—has her baffled. But as more people go missing, nothing will be more terrifying than when it all starts making sense...."


My Thoughts:

This book was easily one of the darkest and creepiest books that I read all year long!  What an amazing beginning to this new mystery series!  Books like this are why I read:  because they suck me in and just don't let me go.  This wasn't always an easy read as it was so dark and twisted at times, but that didn't stop me from devouring it.  I literally flew threw the pages of this one as I was reading as fast as I could- I just had to see what would happen next!  I loved the fact that there were so many different pieces of the puzzle.  I was guessing the entire time that I read this book!  I'm struggling with my thoughts on this one as really all I want to say is READ IT!  It was one of the most engrossing thrillers that I have read this past year and I read a bunch over the course of the year.

One of the things that I liked most about this book was the main character Helen Grace.  She is a bit of an enigma which made her very interesting to me as the reader.  I could never quite guess how she was going to react to different things and she just was so very mysterious.  I loved it!  I loved that as the investigation went on we were able to slowly learn more about her even if it was just here and there.  I'm looking forward to future books in this series and seeing how her character continues to develop.  The story line or mystery is unlike any other book that I've read so far.  It was so completely original and quite terrifying to think about.  This author wasn't afraid to take chances and this was reflected by all of the twists and turns throughout the book.  Every time that I thought I had things figured out....well, the author pulled the rug out from under me.  I found myself filled with anticipation just trying to figure out how this would all end.  And the ending.  Wow!  I didn't see it coming at all which made it even more intense.  Looking back, I don't think that it could have ended any other way but I still didn't see any of it coming.  It was a shattering conclusion to an amazing book!  I can't describe it any better any other way.

Overall, this book was an easy addition to my best reads list of 2015.  I just cannot say enough good things about it- I'm gushing at this point.  It was dark and twisted so it won't be a book that everyone enjoys but it will be a series that I am reading more of.  I've already added this author to my must read list.  I will be continuing on with this series as soon as possible.  I've actually got a copy of the second book on my shelves already so that makes it even easier.  I can't wait!  Highly, highly recommended!

Bottom Line:  One of the best books that I read in 2015!

Disclosure:  I received a copy of this book thanks to the publisher and NetGalley.

7 comments:

  1. Sam, I added this one to my have to read list from your favorite list of 2015. I'm excited to see your review now. I actually was looking at this last night but chose another book that isn't a thriller.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this one last year too. And it was quite the book, wasn't it? Really, truly. I have book #2, 3, and 4 on my shelf. Ordered them from the UK because I couldn't wait. And there they have sat - waiting. LOL

    Glad you liked it too. I need to make a point to start the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helen does sound like a fascinating character! I'm glad you enjoyed this one to the hilt, Sam! Have a terrific weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This does sound dark! And oh so good! Helen Grace sounds like a great character. Adding this to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen this book around but didn't pick it up. Now after reading your review I guess I need to! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one was definitely a twisted tale! I have another book by this author in my Kindle and am looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, your review has convinced me I need to read this! I love a good dark & twisty thriller.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)