Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Iron Hunt by Marjorie M. Liu


From Goodreads:

"Demon hunter Maxine Kiss wears her armor as tattoos, which unwind from her body to take on forms of their own at night. They stand between her and her enemies, just as Maxine stands between humanity and the demons breaking out from behind the prison veils. It is a life lacking in love, reveling in death, until one moment-and one man-changes everything."

My Thoughts:

The Iron Hunt was an interesting beginning to this urban fantasy series and different from a lot of the other books that are out there. Maxine is the only person fighting against the demons that are starting to break out from the prison that they have been trapped in for years. And her help comes from the tattoos on her body...tattoos that are actual demons that come off of her at nighttime. This made such an interesting premise for the story that I was hooked from the beginning. Maxine was a very different main character: at times she was very strong and seemed capable of handling anything, and at others she was filled with self doubt and seemed weak. It made her seem very realistic as all of these changes in personality are coming at a time when everything she knows is being turned upside down. The rules that she was taught as a child seem to be changing and it seems as if her dead mother didn't tell her everything that she would need to know. All of the questions and suspense made for a really good read. But. My only problem was that you could really tell that this was the beginning of the series. It seemed like there was a lot of setup for what was to come and not enough development within this book. And I wanted more answers for Maxine and just didn't get them. So it looks like I really need to pick up the next book and fast ;)

All in all, a good beginning to this urban fantasy series and another author that I will be following closely. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the storyline develops in the next book!

Disclosure: I got this one from the library. Woohoo!
*I read this for the following challenges:
Speculative Fiction Challenge
New Author Challenge
1st in a Series Challenge
100+ Reading Challenge
Support Your Library Challenge
"I" Title for A-Z Challenge (personal)

3 comments:

  1. I need to get some tattoos like that, so I can battle any evil that comes my way. :-D That is a very cool premise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool premise. I haven't read an urban fantasy in a few years!Sounds like a good one to start out with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie- It was such an interesting premise! I'm eager to see where the author will go with this series.

    Staci- I just love urban fantasy and can't get enough of it myself :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)