Wednesday, March 4, 2020

In The Dark by Loreth Anne White (thoughts)

Summary from Goodreads:

"A secluded mountain lodge. The perfect getaway. So remote no one will ever find you.

The promise of a luxury vacation at a secluded wilderness spa has brought together eight lucky guests. But nothing is what they were led to believe. As a fierce storm barrels down and all contact with the outside is cut off, the guests fear that it’s not a getaway. It’s a trap.

Each one has a secret. Each one has something to hide. And now, as darkness closes in, they all have something to fear—including one another.

Alerted to the vanished party of strangers, homicide cop Mason Deniaud and search and rescue expert Callie Sutton must brave the brutal elements of the mountains to find them. But even Mason and Callie have no idea how precious time is. Because the clock is ticking, and one by one, the guests of Forest Shadow Lodge are being hunted. For them, surviving becomes part of a diabolical game."

My Thoughts:

You guys - I absolutely LOVED this book!  It is SO my type of read!  I can't even put into words how much this one is in my wheelhouse.  Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None is my favorite of all her books that I've read so far (I have a personal goal to read everything she has written eventually).  Basically any book that is compared to And Then There Were None or follows a similar type of trope is one that is instantly going on to my radar to check out.  What I loved so much about this book was the fact that it paid homage to Christie's work while putting its' own twist on it!  And the author did this SO WELL!  I found myself instantly drawn into this book from the very beginning.  A secluded lodge set in the remote wilderness of Canada, a storm bearing down, and a murder mystery....what else could you want in a thriller?!  The thing about this book that also made it stand out for me was that it was told in two different parts that it goes back and forth between.  The first is with the guests at the lodge and the second storyline is featuring the cop who is leading the searching for them.  I really liked both Mason and Callie's characters!  I liked them both enough that I'm kind of curious if there is the possibility that we will see their characters in future books?  I would be ALL over it if that happened...just saying!  I also have to say how much I loved that the author threw in a nod to Christie's book directly in this one.  I won't say how or anything but it made my readerly heart sing when I saw it.  This is honestly such a great book and I cannot seem to say enough good things about it!

Overall, I loved this one which is should be completely apparent by now.  I really haven't seen enough readers finding this one which is an absolute shame!  Books like this are why I love the mystery/thriller genre so much!  This book had me guessing the entire time while turning the pages as fast as I could.  I loved both the similarities and the differences that made this book stand out from Christie's original work.  I'm honestly so excited to have found this author and cannot wait to checkout her other books.  Highly, highly recommended and my first five star read of 2020!

Bottom Line:  My first five star read of 2020 - enough said!

Disclosure:  I received a copy of this book thanks to the publisher and NetGalley.  I ended up reading a copy that I picked up from my local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)