Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Silent Scream by Angela Marsons (thoughts)

Summary from Goodreads:

"Even the darkest secrets can’t stay buried forever…

Five figures gather round a shallow grave. They had all taken turns to dig. An adult-sized hole would have taken longer. An innocent life had been taken but the pact had been made. Their secrets would be buried, bound in blood …

Years later, a headmistress is found brutally strangled, the first in a spate of gruesome murders which shock the Black Country.

But when human remains are discovered at a former children’s home, disturbing secrets are also unearthed. D.I. Kim Stone fast realises she’s on the hunt for a twisted individual whose killing spree spans decades.

As the body count rises, Kim needs to stop the murderer before they strike again. But to catch the killer, can Kim confront the demons of her own past before it’s too late?"


My Thoughts:

Wow!  I cannot begin to put into words how much I enjoyed this book!  Silent Scream was one of the most chilling thrillers that I've read so far this year.  I really just could not get enough!  This is by far one of the best beginning books to a new series and I am completely hooked.  D.I. Kim Stone is such a unique main character.  She does things her own way even if it means getting in trouble with the higher ups in the police department.  And the case and these dead girls really meant something to her and that was evident from the very beginning.  What made this book really stand out for me though was the way that the author used Kim's own history as a child and tied that into the current mystery that she is investigating.  Without giving too much away there were a few parallels that really allowed for me to connect to not only to Kim but also to hook into the mystery completely.  I was invested in this one and wanted to see it solved as soon as possible.  I loved how completely immersed in this book I found myself.  I say this a lot sometimes but I just could not put this book down (or in my case put my kindle down). 

I also really appreciated the fact that I didn't see the ending coming from a mile away.  Oh the twists in this book had me reading as fast as I possibly could.  Wow!  That's all I can say about this ending.  Just wow!  I set this book down needing more books to read by this author and completely anxious to continue on with this series.  In fact I credit this book to kick-starting my current obsession with thrillers and crime fiction that just doesn't seem to want to let up.  I NEED more books just like this in my life!  Happily enough, the second book in this series will be releasing soon and I definitely will be adding it to my shelves.  Or kindle.  Whichever I can get my hands on sooner at this point.  I'm pretty sure that it is obvious that I loved my entire reading experience for this book but if you need a little more convincing then here it is:  hands down I can basically guarantee that this one will end up on my top reads list for 2015.  It was just that good!

Obviously I loved this one as my review is basically one big gush fest!  I don't have any other criticisms other than wishing I already had the second book in my hands.  Ha!  If you are a fan of thrillers with plenty of twists then this is a book that is not to be missed in my opinion.  This book was dark, it was suspenseful, and really just everything that I look for in a thriller.  Highly recommended!

Bottom Line:  Creepy, page-turning, and oh so good!  Read it!

Disclosure:  I received a copy of this book thanks to the publisher and NetGalley.  Thoughts are my own!

10 comments:

  1. I have read several reviews of this book and don't think I've read a bad one. I have this one on my Kindle. Seems I need to read it soon or soon-ish. And a new one out in a few weeks. That could be a good thing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg. This one sounds so good. I've been reading some good thrillers lately and I'd love another good one. I'm going to check this one out. It's so awesome when a book is this good of a read isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really good, Samantha! I like it when I can connect to a character the way you did to D.I. Kim Stone. I am eager to read this one now. Thank you for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review, Sam! It sounds like a suspenseful and fun book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like my kind of book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like my kind of book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've definitely piqued my interest with your lovely review! I'll have to check this out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, it sounds like you loved Silent Scream !

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was hoping you were going to say this was a good one! Must put this one on my list for sure. I love a good thriller. So is this doing to be part of a series?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay I usually respond to comments individually but all I really want to say is READ THIS BOOK! Totally worth it in my opinion if you are a thriller or mystery fan. If I am correct it is priced pretty reasonably on Amazon. I just loved this one and can't stop singing its' praises (obviously)!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)