Thursday, April 9, 2015

Scene of the Climb by Kate E. Dyer-Seeley (thoughts)

Summary from Goodreads:

"Meg Reed bluffs her way into writing for 'Northwest Extreme', passing herself off to editor-in-chief Greg Dixon as an outdoor adventure enthusiast. Never mind that Meg's idea of sport is climbing onto the couch without spilling her latte. So when she finds herself clawing to the top of Angel's Rest - a 2000-foot peak - to cover the latest challenge in a reality TV adventure show, she can't imagine feeling more terrified. Until she witnesses a body plummet off the side of the cliff. Now Meg has a murder to investigate ... and if the climbing doesn't kill her, a murderer just might."

My Thoughts:

Cozy mystery series should all be this much fun to read!  This was such a great read and left me instantly eager to continue on with this series.  In fact, that is exactly what I did as I couldn't help but jump into the second book.  What I really enjoyed about this book is that it had me laughing out loud at various points throughout the novel.  Meg manages to get herself sucked into some precarious situations that I couldn't help but chuckle at.  Especially as she works to hide her inexperience with everything outdoors.  I loved the fact that Meg's outdoor adventure "skills" consisted of her watching YouTube videos of the various activities.  Ha!  It was trouble waiting to happen and I couldn't help but want to read all about it.

The mystery itself was fun to read about and I loved that there was a variety of suspects to choose from when trying to figure out who the killer was.  They each had their own reasons (or possible ones) on why they might have wanted the victim dead so I spent a lot of my time reading trying to figure it all out.  I can't say that I was able to guess the ending which for me is always a good thing.  The author had a really nice twist at the end that I didn't see coming which really meant that I was clueless in regards to the killer's identity.  Another thing about this book that I really liked is there there is another storyline in regards to Meg's father that we are just learning about.  It has me intrigued and especially with how this book ended.  Can you see why I just instantly had to read the second book after all of this??  I needed answers to all of the questions that I had and wanted to see what kind of trouble Meg would find herself in next. 

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and was left very excited about this series!  It was fun to read and you can never go wrong with a mystery that makes you laugh in my opinion.  I loved all of the characters and was ready to go on another adventure with Meg instantly.  I definitely would recommend this book to other mystery and cozy fans.  Highly recommended!

Bottom Line:  A book that had me giggling and turning pages as fast as I could!

Disclosure:  I received a copy of this book thanks to the publisher as I will be participating in a book tour for the second book.  Thoughts are my own!

4 comments:

  1. This sounds great, Sam! I enjoyed your enthusiastic review of this funny mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This series does sound cute. I don't read many cozies but when I find a good one, I'm hooked! And, a mystery that also makes you laugh? Well, you can't beat that right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These do sound like fun cozy mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meg sounds like an interesting protagonist and I like the idea of a mystery that will make me giggle. I will have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)