Thursday, February 27, 2020

Egg Drop Dead by Vivien Chien (thoughts)

Summary from Goodreads:

"It was supposed to be a fancy, intimate dinner party by the pool. Instead, Lana Lee’s first-ever catering event turns into full-course madness when a domestic worker is found dead. Is the party’s host Donna Feng, the sweet-and-sour owner of the Asia Village shopping plaza where Ho-Lee is situated, somehow to blame? That’s what Lana―whose plate is already plenty full with running the restaurant, pleasing her often-disapproving mother, and fretting over her occasionally-serious boyfriend Detective Adam Trudeau―must find out.

Before the police arrived at the crime scene, Donna had entrusted an odd piece of evidence to Lana: a thumb drive shaped like a terra-cotta soldier. Now it’s up to Lana to lead her own investigation, digitally and in real life, into a world of secrets involving Donna’s earlier life in China, whether the victim had a dark agenda, and if the killer is still out there. . .and plans to strike again."

My Thoughts:

Egg Drop Dead is the 5th book in the Noodle Shop mystery series and it is just a delight!  I actually started this series on book three and haven't yet had the chance to catch up on books one and two.  This is the first time that it seems to have mattered as this book referenced a previous case that Lana investigated that I'm guessing happened during either book one or two.  It didn't affect my enjoyment of this book in the slightest but I wanted to mention it in case you haven't read those earlier books either.  This book had everything that I enjoy about this series!  There are these amazing food descriptions that make me constantly feel hungry while reading.  Lana is Lana and finds herself caught up in the middle of a murder investigation yet again.  She is such a delightful character that I just always find myself rooting for!  Plus, all of my favorite secondary characters were present including Lana's detective boyfriend Adam.  I liked that in this book we learned a bit more about Lana through her ex-boyfriend's surprise appearance in her life once again.  I don't want to share any spoilers but I will say that I liked how everything turned out in that situation.  The mystery portion of this book was well done as well and kept me guessing.  This is a series that I really enjoy and will just keep reading more of!  I really do need to catch up with those earlier books though!

Overall, this book was another great addition to what has become a favorite mystery series of mine!  I swear that every time I read these books I find myself craving spring rolls.  Yum!  The characters are great and I cannot wait to see what kind of trouble Lana will get herself into next time.  I'm really enjoying seeing Lana and Adam's relationship develop.  Hopefully we will continue to see that happen in future books.  You can certainly read this series out of order (I did) but I do think that it would help your overall reading experience to start at the beginning if possible.  This is a cozy mystery series not to be missed!  Recommended to fans of cozy mysteries and mystery readers alike!

Bottom Line:  Another delightful addition to one of my favorite cozy mystery series!

Disclosure:  I received a copy of this book thanks to the publisher courtesy of NetGalley.  Honest thoughts are my own.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds fun, thanks for sharing your thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read one book in this series and absolutely loved it! Thanks for reminding me to get back to it. This sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a fun series, glad you are enjoying these. I like this cover and I think I'd be hungry while reading too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)