Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Murder On the Orient Express by Agatha Christie (thoughts)

Summary from Goodreads:

"Just after midnight, the famous Orient Express is stopped in its tracks by a snowdrift. By morning, the millionaire Samuel Edward Ratchett lies dead in his compartment, stabbed a dozen times, his door locked from the inside. Without a shred of doubt, one of his fellow passengers is the murderer. Isolated by the storm, detective Hercule Poirot must find the killer among a dozen of the dead man's enemies, before the murderer decides to strike again."

My Thoughts:

I'm getting some great reading recommendations thanks to the Read or Dead podcast! This is the second book that I've read so far this year thanks to hearing about the book on their podcast (it also helped that a movie was coming out based off of both books).  It has been entirely too long since I last read a novel by Christie!  This was a delight to read and really made me want to get back to reading more of her books.  I'm glad that the upcoming movie gave me the push to read this book sooner rather than later because this felt like the perfect late fall read.  The idea of being stuck on a train due to a snowdrift and being completely isolated after a murder has occurred is just so creepy!  Then you add in all of these mysterious clues that don't fit together in any way that makes sense....and you end up with classic Agatha Christie if I do say so myself.  This isn't my favorite book by hers - that is still And Then There Were None - but it was a pretty darn good read!  I love how Christie can always seem to keep me guessing until the very end.  Even when I think that I've got it figured out I'm usually wrong.  At first I was a bit worried with this book because there were so many characters and I wasn't sure how I would keep track of them all.  I found though that the way the book was set up allowed for me to get a feel for all of them which helped me keep them straight.  And really I just breezed through the pages of this book.  The ending was a bit over the top but it actually fit with the story so it worked.  I'm actually really eager to see the upcoming movie now and see how it all plays out on the big screen!

Overall, this was an enjoyable read and has me in the mood for some more Agatha Christie.  I think that I need to visit with a Miss Marple book soon!  I'm glad though that I didn't wait to read this one and can now watch the movie.  It was a fun read and just perfect for this time of year.  I've got to say that I'm ready for the snow to start falling around here as well.  I'll pass on being trapped on a train for any length of time though!  Fans of mysteries and suspense should definitely check this book out.  I feel like this book is a great place to start for readers that haven't read anything by Christie before.  You don't have to read her books in order (I'm actually thinking that this is one of the later Poirot books) at all which makes it easy to just pick this one up and give her a try.  I would highly, highly recommend this author.  I can also easily recommend this book!

Bottom Line:  Another classic mystery read from one of my favorite authors!

Disclosure:  I checked this book out from my local public library. 

2 comments:

  1. Excellent review, Sam! I have not read this mystery but I truly want to! I think I'd enjoy it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a long time since I read Christie as well. I've read this one and would love to see the latest film!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)