Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Two Can Play by Kate Kessler (thoughts)

Summary from Goodreads:

"Halloween is approaching, and criminal psychologist Audrey Harte has been hired by the prosecution to help prepare for the trial of 19-year-old serial killer Ian "Boy Scout" Monroe. His one surviving victim, Tori Scott, is the star witness, but when someone begins killing with Monroe's M.O., the authorities -- and Audrey -- begin to wonder if Monroe had a partner. Keeping Tori safe is the main concern, but Audrey has also attracted the copy-cat's attention.

Audrey is drawn into a dangerous game of cat and mouse, and when someone close to her is abducted by the killer, Audrey has no choice but to play..."


My Thoughts:

I cannot recommend this series enough!  Last year I read and loved the first book in this series, It Takes One.  That book left me so excited about this new series and eagerly waiting to get my hands on this book.  I was absolutely thrilled to find that I enjoyed this book just as much as the first book.  One of the things that I like best about this series is that it has a darker edge to it and especially to the characters.  Audrey committed murder when she was younger and that isn't something that has left her.  In fact, it is something that she is constantly dealing with and trying to overcome.  This isn't something that you see in most thrillers/mystery series which is one of the reasons I like it so much.  This series is different from what's out there which makes it stand out to me.  I also really, really enjoy the fact that Audrey is so bad-ass.  She can truly be scary at times which isn't something that you see very often with a female character.  I just love that the author isn't afraid to take chance with these books and the books are that much better because of it. 

This book was just as much of a page-turner as the first book.  I found myself unable to set it down especially towards the end.  I hit a certain point where there was no turning back and I just settled in to see how it would all play out.  I guessed who the killer was about halfway thru the book but for me it didn't matter as I still needed to see how it would end.  This author isn't afraid to make difficult choices with her characters so the entire reading experience is more intense because of it.  I may have figured the mystery out but it didn't mean that I knew how it would end.  Does that make sense?  I really enjoyed that we continue to see more of Audrey and Jake's relationship as I'm really loving it.  They understand each other so well and in a way that most wouldn't.  Obviously I really enjoyed everything about this book.  I don't have a bad thing to say about it!

Overall, I have to admit that there is a very good chance that this book will also make it on to my top reads list for 2017.  Now I just have to start the waiting game back up again for the next book in this series to release.  Ugh!  It is so hard when the books are so good!  I've seen that there is definitely going to be a third book but I am really, really hoping that there will be more after that one.  I really feel like this series is a bit under that radar - mystery and thriller fans NEED to check this one out!  There is a lot continuing from the first book so I do think readers should start with It Takes One.  But that doesn't mean that you can't start here if you want to!  Highly, highly recommended!  Seriously- read this series already!

Bottom Line:  A personal favorite series of mine and we are only two books in!  I cannot recommend enough!

Disclosure:  I checked this book out from my local library.  I will be purchasing a copy for my own shelves at some point. 

1 comment:

  1. As much as I love being caught up with a series, it is hard to then have to wait for a new book isn't it? Enjoyed your review of this one!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)