Monday, January 2, 2017

Reading and Exercising (Starting 2017 with a Bang!)

Yes!  The first read-a-thon for the new year is already here.  I've participated in the Bout of Books read-a-thon a number of times and always enjoy it.  The idea of getting my reading off to a good start for the year is always a big motivator.  If you haven't participated in Bout of Books, here are the rules:

"The Bout of Books read-a-thon is organized by Amanda Shofner and Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal. It is a week long read-a-thon that begins 12:01am Monday, January 2nd and runs through Sunday, January 8th in whatever time zone you are in. Bout of Books is low-pressure. There are challenges, giveaways, and a grand prize, but all of these are completely optional. For all Bout of Books 18 information and updates, be sure to visit the Bout of Books blog. - From the Bout of Books team"

Week long read-a-thons are usually the way to go for me since I fit my reading in wherever and whenever I can throughout the week.  My goals for this read-a-thon are to finish two books at least.  These are the two books that I'm currently reading (and started off 2017 with):


Don't Turn Out the Lights is my current print read and is quite good so far.  I'm not very far into it yet and I'm already not wanting to set it down.  Truth or Beard is my current kindle read and also my first read for #COYER Blackout.  (I'm failing at that reading challenge since I'm still working on book one but oh well.)  I'm enjoying them both so hopefully the Bout of Books read-a-thon is exactly what I need to get these two books read.  I'm still trying to decide if I want to come up with a January reading pile or not.  If I do then I will choose from one of those books if I manage to finish both of these.



I'm once again also signing up to participate with #FitReaders in 2017.  2016 was probably one of the worst years for me exercising wise.  I really didn't work out on a regular basis or much at all if I am being honest.  We just joined a local gym and I'm planning on the entire family getting healthier in the new year.  There is a cycling class that I'm hoping to try for sure but I also just want to commit to working out on a regular basis.  To start, I'm hoping to work out a minimum of three times a week.  Once I start getting into a regular routine (and get back to running) I will start setting more specific goals but for now just getting to the gym three times a week for the month of January will be enough.

Look at that: two events that have me pumped up for the new year already.  I'm excited to get exercising and also get reading.  Are any of you planning on participating in either of these events?  What are you doing to jump start the new year off in a great way?  If you are participating in either of these events let me know so that we can cheer each other on.  I'm definitely going to need the extra motivation boost when it comes to getting started on a regular workout schedule!

Happy Reading and Happy Moving!

6 comments:

  1. Good luck! Pairing exercise and reading would be a good idea for me since I really like one and really dislike the other :0). Also I may jump onto Bout of Books - it definitely sounds like a good way to start the year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stephanie! I love Bout of Books- it is low-key but motivating all the same. And it always helps to jump start my reading for the year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great way to start the new year! I'm not participating in these events but I have a couple of more challenges I'll be doing. And, I'm with you on getting back on the exercise train. Good luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sam, I am sure you get plenty of exercise naturally, taking care of your children! But best of luck with your fitness goals in 2017. I took Spin classes (cycling) which are a super fun way to keep fit (now I mostly run and walk). Happy reading in the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am passing on FitReaders this year, although I do want to get back into exercising more regularly. Bout of Books sounds like a lot of fun. I always hear about it too late and think it might have been fun to jump in and participate. I wish you the best with both, Samantha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you've had an awesome week so far and that the rest of the week is just as awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)