Thursday, February 18, 2016

Find Her by Lisa Gardner (thoughts)

Summary from Goodreads:

"Flora Dane is a victim.

Seven years ago, carefree college student Flora was kidnapped while on spring break. For 472 days, Flora learned just how much one person can endure.

Flora Dane is a survivor.

Miraculously alive after her ordeal, Flora has spent the past five years reacquainting herself with the rhythms of normal life, working with her FBI victim advocate, Samuel Keynes. She has a mother who’s never stopped loving her, a brother who is scared of the person she’s become, and a bedroom wall covered with photos of other girls who’ve never made it home.

Flora Dane is reckless.

. . . or is she? When Boston detective D. D. Warren is called to the scene of a crime—a dead man and the bound, naked woman who killed him—she learns that Flora has tangled with three other suspects since her return to society. Is Flora a victim or a vigilante? And with her firsthand knowledge of criminal behavior, could she hold the key to rescuing a missing college student whose abduction has rocked Boston? When Flora herself disappears, D.D. realizes a far more sinister predator is out there. One who’s determined that this time, Flora Dane will never escape. And now it is all up to D. D. Warren to find her."


My Thoughts:

This book was insanity in a good way!  A whirlwind of a read where I never could tell which way was up and which was down.....and I loved every minute of it!  When I first read the summary of this book I was reminded vaguely of The Girls She Left Behind by Sarah Graves.  Because of that I might have went into reading this one expecting a similar type of read but that couldn't have been farther from the truth!  This book was so unique and such a compelling read that I just couldn't stop reading it.  I'm pretty sure that I suspected almost everyone in this book of something at one point or another only to find by the end that I was completely wrong.  I've got to say that is a good thing and made this book such a memorable read because of it.  There were moments that were just horrifying especially as you learned just some of the things that Flora experienced while being held captive.  There were also moments where Flora herself felt like an unreliable narrator.  Be still my heart!  A thriller with a possibly unreliable narrator?  This is like reader catnip for me so it was easy to understand why I enjoyed this one so much.  I mean....how could I not when you have a combination like that?

One of the things that I appreciated most about this book was how easily I found myself immersed within its' pages.  This book is the latest in a long standing mystery series (of which I have not read any of the other books) and yet it didn't affect my enjoyment in the slightest.  I honestly felt like this could be read as a standalone novel which was perfect for me.  Now I'm going back to read the rest of the books in this series because I enjoyed this one so much but I didn't have to.  I could tell you a million different things about this book that I enjoyed but the one thing that stands out the most to me is the uniqueness that is Flora.  Flora's character was so captivating and mysterious.  Is she telling the truth about what happened to her when she was held captive?  What secrets hasn't she shared yet with the police?  And what is behind her recent actions that ended with her killing a man?  For every one thing that I thought I understood about Flora there were ten more questions that came to mind with that.  She is one of those characters that will stick with me as the reader and think about.  Actually this book in general is one that I won't be forgetting about any time soon and was overall a standout read!  Just be warned that by the end you won't be able to put this one down!

Overall, this was a dark and haunting thriller and I need more books just like this!  I am so thrilled that I finally have given this author a try because this book catapulted her on to my must read list.  Honestly books like this are why I read and I won't be forgetting this one anytime soon!  I've got no other words other than READ IT!  Recommended to thriller and mystery fans alike!  What a wild ride (and so completely worth it)!  Highly recommended!

Bottom Line:  Easily a five star read - just wow!

Disclosure:  I received a copy of this book thanks to the publisher and NetGalley.

5 comments:

  1. OK, so....my review of this one will be up in about 10 days or so. I liked it well enough, but....I have read other books by this author. I love D.D. Warren and I didn't get to see enough of her. This was pretty much Flora's books, which was fine, but I wanted D.D. More of her anyway. I loved the previous book in the series and I think that affected my experience (where D.D. got her injury that made her on restricted duty). It was a hard review for me to write. I rarely finish books that aren't working for me and I did finish FIND HER. I suspect if I had come to Lisa Gardner's work like you did - as a first book - I would have been happier. That's the series reader in me. I get attached.

    Glad this was a great books for you. I'm hoping my review doesn't put other people off the book. I don't like writing less than 'good' reviews, but I guess sometimes a favorite author writes a book that doesn't 'speak' to us quite as much. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an author that has been on my list for quite a long time. I actually started one but it didn't capture my mood.

    To read your review then Kay's comment, hmmmm, this is the reason I enjoy stand alones.

    BTW - Eeny Meeny is AMAZING, the only thing keeping me from reading is networking during BBAW, I cannot wait to complete it this week, I'm half way through and it is a 5 star so far. THANKS

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've read anything by this author, gasp! Now I need to check out her books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, now I'm very curious. I haven't read her before, but it sounds like I should!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm trying to remember if I have read this author before . . . Don't think so. But I know she's an author I've been interested in giving a try. You make it sound really good. I'll be curious to read Kay's review too when she posts it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)