Thursday, November 11, 2010

Green Books Campaign: Life in the Hothouse by Melanie Lenart


This review is part of the Green Books Campaign. Today (or yesterday actually) 200 bloggers take a stand to support books printed in a eco-friendly manner by simultaneously publishing reviews of 200 books printed on recycled or FSC-certified paper. By turning a spotlight on books printed using eco-friendly paper, we hope to raise the awareness of book buyers and encourage everyone to take the environment into consideration when purchasing books.

I've got to apologize because I am way behind these days so not only is my review late (I had my days mixed up) but I'm also not quite finished with the book. So I still thought I would share some of my thoughts and a summary and then of course I'll review it when I'm finished :) I chose to read Life in the Hothouse: How a Living Planet Survives Climate Change for a couple of different reasons. First of all, it deals with global warming. I must admit that every since I took a certain science course in college I've been interested in the topic of global warming. I want to know more and figured that this book would do just that for me. Besides that this book is about weather and I find hurricanes, tornados, storms, and the like fascinating. I even like to watch Storm Chasers but that's a different subject. Suffice it to say that this book is all about the weather and how global warming and weather affect us.

My thoughts so far are mixed. The subject matter itself is interesting. I love reading about reasons why some hurricanes are stronger than others and how global warming is affecting this. But (and this is a big but) the book is slow reading for me. It is a little dry at times as the author goes on into details and research explaining her ideas. So for me I have to be in the mood to read this book which is why it is taking me longer to read than normal. I'll leave you with my mixed feelings and hopefully a final review will be posted soon!

Thanks to Eco Libris for hosting this and for sending me my review copy! My apologies for always being behind schedule!

6 comments:

  1. This sounds like an interesting topic to read about. Sorry to hear it is a bit dry. I know what you mean about having to be in the right mood for it.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting but what can you do? I just have to read it in pieces or I just might fall asleep :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Samantha,
    I appreciate your effort to read my book. I know it doesn't read as easy as fiction. But I would encourage to skip past the slow parts. I tried to lump number and names into specific paragraphs when possible because I wanted scientists to have the facts they needed. So please -- read it in pieces, but don't feel a need to read every word!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melanie- Thanks for the tip! I've got to admit that it is such an interesting topic...I'm so glad that I chose it to read. Hopefully I'll be posting a review soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too bad that this one is tougher to read as the subject matter seems really pertinent. I admit to not knowing much about the global changes and should probably be more aware. I'll probably still keep this book on my radar just for an informative standpoint.

    I loved Green Books Campaign last year--wish I could have committed this year. It's tough to schedule a specific date, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trish- I'm always running behind any more so it is difficult to schedule a review. And I think that this is a subject that I wanted to learn more about as well so I'm glad to have the chance to read it and stretch my reading comfort zone :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)