Wednesday, September 29, 2021

What I've Been Reading (Playing Catchup Edition #4)

Beneath Devil's Bridge by Loretta Anne White 

Summary from Goodreads:

"A true crime podcast yields new revelations about a shocking murder."

My Thoughts:

Loreth Anne White is fast becoming one of my favorite authors!  Last year I read and loved In the Dark by her (if you haven't picked this one up yet you simply must!). I jumped at the chance to read this book and wasn't disappointed in the slightest.  It just goes to show me how much I NEED to work on catching up on her backlist because wow!  She is an author that definitely deserves more hype than I see her getting.  This book had podcast elements to it which I really enjoyed.  I liked the fact that the book was focused on a crime that was supposedly solved from years ago.  I really enjoyed that the story was told from two different timelines - back when Detective Rachel Walczak was investigating the case and then in the present as podcaster Trinity Scott investigates what really happened all those years ago.  I found this book to be a really compelling read.  I wanted to know what really happened to Leena Rai and the why's behind it all.  I had my guesses on who might have been behind it, but even then I definitely didn't see that ending coming.  There's this one twist that just hits so perfectly.  I felt like I should have seen it coming but yet it smacked me straight in the gut in the best way.  Wow, she is such a talented author.  

Overall, this is a book that definitely deserves more hype in my opinion.  Readers who enjoy mysteries, true crime podcasts, and suspenseful reads need to pick this book up.  And then talk about it with others so more mystery readers can find this author because I need her to write ALL of the books!  Kidding....but kind of not because she's just so good!  Highly recommended!

Bottom Line:  A tense and suspenseful read that I just couldn't stop reading!

Disclosure:  I received a copy of this book thanks to the publisher and NetGalley.  Honest thoughts are my own.

Bird Box by Josh Malerman

Summary from Goodreads:

"Written with the narrative tension of The Road and the exquisite terror of classic Stephen King, Bird Box is a propulsive, edge-of-your-seat horror thriller, set in an apocalyptic near-future world—a masterpiece of suspense from the brilliantly imaginative Josh Malerman.

Something is out there . . . "

My Thoughts:

Bird Box was a really solid read but I think I slightly overhyped it in my head.  First, I did something I rarely do and watched the movie first.  I actually really enjoyed the movie and found it to be a fun reading experience comparing the differences between the two.  But I expected this one to terrify me just from hearing from so many other horror readers that it is one of their favorites.  Honestly, I did find the idea of not being able to see whatever was out there creepy but just not as terrifying as I hoped.  Maybe it is because I watch the movie first or maybe I just had it overhyped in my head.  That isn't to discount that I really enjoyed my reading experience.  I was just left wanting it to be a bit more.  More terrifying.  I wanted to be truly creeped out in the best of ways and wasn't.  I'm chalking it up to expectations.  I definitely plan on reading more by this author and the premise of this book is so unique.  I want to see what other twisted things he comes up with next.  And I think I will read the sequel to this book at some point as well.  But maybe I would just say to other readers to start here before you watch the movie.  That's all.

Overall, I enjoyed this book even if it didn't quite terrify me like I had hoped that it would.  Readers who want a horror based take on the end of the world should pick this book up for sure.  I also want to say that if you aren't sure on if horror reads are for you, that this book wasn't too scary and is one that I think many readers could handle.  Recommended!

Bottom Line: A book that I'm glad I finally pulled off of my own shelves after it sat on there for way too long!

Disclosure:  I purchased this book myself.  Honest thoughts are my own.

2 comments:

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)