Thursday, September 23, 2021

The Killing Kind by Jane Casey (thoughts)

 

Summary from Goodreads:

"He tells you you’re special…

As a barrister, Ingrid Lewis is used to dealing with tricky clients, but no one has ever come close to John Webster. After Ingrid defended Webster against a stalking charge, he then turned on her – following her, ruining her relationship, even destroying her home.
 
He tells you he wants to protect you… 
Now, Ingrid believes she has finally escaped his clutches. But when one of her colleagues is run down on a busy London road, Ingrid is sure she was the intended victim. And then Webster shows up at her door…
 
But can you believe him?
Webster claims Ingrid is in danger – and that only he can protect her. Stalker or saviour? Murderer or protector? The clock is ticking for Ingrid to decide. Because the killer is ready to strike again."

My Thoughts:

The Killing Kind was a suspenseful read that kept me turning the pages as fast as I could.  It's actually a pretty thick book - my copy was 470 pages but I flew through it.  It's one of those reads that you don't want to set down because you just want to see what is going to happen next.  One of the things that I enjoyed the most about this book was that you didn't know who to trust.  Ingrid previously had a stalker - John Webster - who it seems like may be coming back into her life.  And as the summary above states - he is stating that he can help her because it does look like someone is trying to hurt or kill her.  Could it be John that is trying to insert himself into her life again or who is trying to cause her harm?  Or could it be someone else trying to hurt her possibly related to her job as she works in criminal defense.  Who can she trust?  Is there anyone?  These questions swirled around constantly in my head while I was reading this book.  It really helped to up the level of tension and suspense that was present throughout this book.  I was so caught up in this book that I just didn't want to set this book down.  I especially was intrigued by John Webster's character and what his motivations were.  This book won't be for everyone though - it deals with some difficult subject matter that won't be for every reader.  I will include content warnings below for the major ones but if you have specific questions just let me know.  Overall, I really enjoyed this book and am eager to read more by this author!

Read this book if you enjoy suspenseful, page turning reads that you don't want to set down.  I've read one of this author's book so far (book one in a long running series of hers) and this was a great reminder that I need to get back to that series.  This book would be a great place to start if you don't want to begin a long running series and want to give her a try with a standalone instead.  Highly recommended!

Bottom Line: A book that I just couldn't stop reading!

Disclosure:  I received a copy of this book thanks to the publisher as part of a TLC book tour.  Honest thoughts are my own.

Content Warnings:  Rape (this is on page somewhat so be warned that this could be triggering for some readers), suicide, stalking

6 comments:

  1. I really like Jane Casey's series featuring Maeve Kerrigan and Josh Derwent (probably the long-running one you mentioned). I haven't read this one yet, but I'll keep it in mind. It's interesting to me when authors that normally write series books come out with a standalone. Not a bad thing though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoy her Maeve Kerrigan series but am so behind on it. Glad to see she's also writing some standalones. I think those are great like you said, if you aren't quite sure if you want to invest in a long running series. Glad to hear this one was a good thriller!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really good and this is an author I've really been wanting to read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for being on this tour! Sara @ TLC Book Tours

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! You and the other commenters have convinced me to try this book and the author's other series. I always love a good thriller!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)