Thursday, January 9, 2020

Anything For You by Saul Black (thoughts)

Summary from Goodreads:

"On a hot summer night, a watchful neighbor locks eyes with an intruder and unwittingly alerts the police to a vicious crime scene next door: a lavish master bedroom where a man lies dead. His wife is bleeding out onto the hardwood floor, clinging to life.

The victim, Adam Grant, was a well-known San Francisco prosecutor--a man whose connection to Homicide detective Valerie Hart brings her face-to-face with a life she's long since left behind. Adam's career made him an easy target, and forensic evidence points towards an ex-con he put behind bars years ago. But while Adam's wife and daughter grapple with their tragic loss, Valerie uncovers devastating clues that point in a more ominous direction. Lurking in the shadows of the Grants' pristine life is a mysterious blonde who holds the key to a dangerous past.

As Valerie struggles to forge a new path for herself, the investigation forces her to confront the question: can we ever really leave our pasts behind?"

My Thoughts:

Anything For You was a really interesting and suspenseful mystery that kept me guessing until the very end.  This is actually part of a series (the 3rd book to be exact) of which I haven't yet read the previous books.  That didn't affect my reading experience in the slightest - I honestly couldn't even tell that it was part of a series as it didn't feel like I was missing out on anything that had happened previously or character details, etc.  Instead, I found myself really sucked into this mystery of who killed Adam Grant and why.  The book is told from two different parts - the main one is from Valerie's viewpoint as she investigates Grant's murder.  Valerie's character is interesting because she isn't always likeable but she is a very intriguing main character.  There is just something about her motivations and actions at times that kept me guessing as the reader.  Is that because I haven't read the two previous books so I wasn't as familiar with her character as I would have been otherwise?  It's a possibility but honestly her character really added to this book in my opinion.  I didn't always like her but she felt perfectly real with all of the imperfections that come into play in real life.  The second part of the book are told from an unknown woman's character.  Her motivations and actions are kept a mystery but those parts of the book also really added to the suspense while I was reading.  It all combined into being quite the suspenseful mystery where I didn't see the end coming until I was supposed to.  My one and only complaint (for lack of better word here) with this book was that the ending left me unsure.  I'm trying not to spoil anything here but was I supposed to take the reasoning behind it all as absolute truth?  This is the why - it happened - and that's they why behind it all?  I just wasn't sure on that part of it so it left me questioning the ending a bit.  And that's not to say that I didn't like it (especially if what was  said to have happened was really true) but it was just that feeling that I didn't know exactly what I was supposed to believe.  That's the best way I can explain it.  

Overall, I really ended up enjoying my time with this book and am left eager to get back to the earlier books in this series.  I didn't realize it before now but I already had the 1st book on my TBR list so I think I'll put it on hold at the library soon so I can read it sooner rather than later.  This is definitely a series and author that I want to read more of!  I'm actually really looking forward to catching up on other reviews of this book to see what other readers have thought as I feel like it would be an interesting read to discuss.  Recommended!

Bottom Line:  A suspenseful mystery that kept me guessing throughout!

Disclosure:  I received a copy of this book thanks to the publisher.  Honest thoughts are my own.

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm...isn't this interesting - I own the first two books in the series, but forgot about them. Well, maybe didn't forget, but sometimes things lurk on my Kindle and I lose track. Anyway, I'm going to make a point to try them because this one sounds very good. And you have me intrigued with your query about the ending. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, if you do read those first two books let me know! I'm really hoping to at least grab the 1st book from the library this year so that I can catch up with those earlier books!

      Delete
  2. I've done that before--read a later book in the series (not knowing it was a series) before realizing I had the one before it. So, I can relate! I am not familiar with this author, but I like the sound of the book. I am glad you enjoyed it, Samantha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I had heard of this one but I like the premise. Always on the look out for a good thriller!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)