Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Rage Against the Dying by Becky Masterman (thoughts)

Summary from Goodreads:

"Keeping secrets, telling lies, they require the same skill. Both become a habit, almost an addiction, that's hard to break even with the people closest to you, out of the business. For example, they say never trust a woman who tells you her age; if she can't keep that secret, she can't keep yours. I'm fifty-nine."

Brigid Quinn's experiences in hunting sexual predators for the FBI have left her with memories she wishes she didn't have and lethal skills she hopes never to need again. Having been pushed into early retirement by events she thinks she's put firmly behind her, Brigid keeps telling herself she is settling down nicely in Tucson with a wonderful new husband, Carlo, and their dogs.

But the past intervenes when a man named Floyd Lynch confesses to the worst unsolved case of Brigid's career—the disappearance and presumed murder of her young protégée, Jessica. Floyd knows things about that terrible night that were never made public, and offers to lead the cops to Jessica's body in return for a plea bargain.

It should finally be the end of a dark chapter in Brigid's life. Except…the new FBI agent on the case, Laura Coleman, thinks the confession is fake, and Brigid finds she cannot walk away from violence and retribution after all, no matter what the cost."

My Thoughts:

Two books in and this author has already jumped on to my must-read, favorite authors list.  I love these books!  I love this series!  This is one of those authors and series that I cannot recommend highly enough (obviously as I've already started gushing)!  And honestly, I really feel like this series is a bit underrated at least as far as I have seen in the blogging world.  Why aren't more bloggers reading and loving this series as much as I am?  I don't know other than the fact that it is fairly new with only two books so far and a third coming soon.  Maybe I should stop rambling on how much I love this series though and actually tell you what I loved about this book.  Ha!  Let's start off with the fact that I couldn't stop reading  this book.  Like I literally started reading this one and was just as hooked as I had been with Fear the Darkness.  To be clear, I read this series out of order.  Rage Against the Dying is the first book in the series and because I loved the second book so much I had to pick up this book.  This book was just as good as I had hoped it would be.  Heck I can't even seem to write clearly about this book because I loved it so much!

One of the things that I love most about this series is the main character Brigid Quinn.  She is former FBI and the things that she experienced as an agent seem to haunt her.  There is this unreliable feel to her where you are never quite sure what she is doing and why.  Or if she is being honest about everything as well.  It is quite the combination in a main character and I find it to be so compelling.  I can't stop reading because I have to see what she is going to do next.  This book was just as much of a page turner as the second book was.  I found myself reading at one of those frantic paces where you just can't stop because you NEED to know what is going to happen next.  The mystery portion was really well done....I was left guessing until the very end.  And I really can't tell you anymore than that as I don't want to spoil anything about this book.  Your just going to have to read it so you can fall in love with this series as much as I have!

Obviously I loved this one.  It made my top ten reads of 2016 easily and I'm just pining away for the third book which releases this year.  At this point I will read anything and everything that this author writes.  I just need that third book and my reading life will be complete.  LOL!  I would recommend this series and author to mystery and thriller fans alike.  I think those readers that enjoy Tana French should give this book a try.  You can read these books out of order but I really think that you should read them both as they were both that good.  Highly, highly recommended!

Bottom Line:  One of the best thrillers that I read in 2016.  Enough said.

Disclosure:  I checked this book out from my local library.      

2 comments:

  1. Our mystery group read this book last year. It was a meeting that I was not able to attend and knew that so...I haven't read it yet. That being said, I'll make a point of reading it this year. It was well liked by the group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, you did like this series! Unfortunately I have a hard time going back to the beginning of a series if I've started somewhere else. I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed this one. I did think Rage Against the Dying was a good and different book in the genre. Can't wait to read more by this author!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)