Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Out Rider by Lindsay McKenna (thoughts)

Summary from Goodreads:

"A fresh start—that's all Devorah McGuire wants. As a former Marine and current Ranger with the US Forest Service, she's grown accustomed to keeping others safe. But when the unthinkable happens, she can only hope that a transfer to Jackson Hole, Wyoming, will allow her to put the past behind her for good.

Dev's mentor at Grand Tetons National Park is fellow canine handler and horseman Sloan Rankin. He shows Dev the spectacular trails, never knowing the terror that stalks her every move. Despite her lingering fear, Dev feels an attraction for Sloan as wild as their surroundings.

With Sloan, Dev can envision a new life—a real home. Unless a vengeful man fresh out of prison succeeds in finishing what he started…"


My Thoughts:

With all of the mysteries and thrillers that I've been reading lately, a romance was the perfect change of pace for me.  I eagerly picked up my copy of this book as I've read one other book by this author that I enjoyed awhile back.  Now I've only read two books so far by this author but both featured romance and the military which is something that I always seem to enjoy in my books.  This book was set in Montana and both main characters had served time in the military which I found very intriguing.  Especially because both Dev and Sloan were dealing with the after effects of having PTSD from their time in service.  It was just one of those small connections that combined to really make their relationship believable for me as the reader.  Speaking of their relationship, this was one of those books that I love when it comes to the building of a relationship.  They didn't just fall in love with each other despite the fact that they had an instant connection or attraction.  This was more of a friends to lovers story in a way even though they had just met at the very beginning of the book.  There were tons of factors and obstacles that led to them holding off on their feelings for one another but I really just appreciated that it came across more naturally than many other books.  In fact, I was almost impatient at points because I was so ready for them to take that next step.  LOL!  The wait was worth it though and I feel like I enjoyed this book more because of it.

The story line featured the fact that Dev had a stalker where she previously lived (not really a spoiler since it is mentioned in the summary).  The author goes into detail in what Dev previously went through which wasn't always easy to read at times so I thought I better throw that out there.  It might just be me but reading about stalkers always gives me the heeby jeeby's. It sure did add a layer of suspense to this book and especially to the ending!  I got to a certain point near the end and just wasn't able to set this book down.  It was really intense but I loved the way that the author wrapped everything up!  I also really, really loved the way that the author described Wyoming.  I've never been but from the descriptions I could just picture everything in my head.  I love when I am able to visualize a place that I've never been to while reading.  It just adds to the reading experience for me!  My one and only complaint with this book was that it felt repetitive at times.  I felt like there were certain things that were brought up over and over again.  It might just have been me though as sometimes I prefer more showing rather than telling.  All in all though, this was an enjoyable reading experience that made me glad to have read this author again.

Overall, I found this book to be a solid romance that was the perfect change of pace to everything else that I have been reading.  I'm curious to check out this author's other books because I believe that some of them might be loosely connected to this one (I'm guessing here on this).  Like maybe some of the other characters that were in this book have their own books?  A girl can hope!  This was a quiet romance with an explosive finish- that is the best way that I can describe it.  I would recommend it to other romance readers easily.  Recommended!

Bottom Line:  Another enjoyable read by this author!

Disclosure:  I received a copy of this book thanks to the publisher and NetGalley as part of a TLC book tour.



1 comment:

  1. I hope you enjoy the other books in this series as well! Thanks for being a part of the tour.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)