Friday, May 13, 2016

Mercury Striking by Rebecca Zanetti (thoughts)

Summary from Goodreads:

With nothing but rumors to lead her, Lynn Harmony has trekked across a nightmare landscape to find one man—a mysterious, damaged legend who protects the weak and leads the strong. He’s more than muscle and firepower—and in post-plague L.A., he’s her only hope. As the one woman who could cure the disease, Lynn is the single most volatile—and vulnerable—creature in this new and ruthless world. But face to face with Jax Mercury…

Danger has never looked quite so delicious…


My Thoughts:

Post-apocalyptic romance.  That is all I needed to hear before I was adding this book on to my TBR wishlist.  It is so easy sometimes, isn't it?  This is a genre that I cannot resist and always want to read more of although really I've read very few books like this.  This book was just as good as I had hoped it would be, and I am delighted that it is the beginning to a series.  A post-apocalyptic romantic series...be still my heart!  After finishing this book I am already eagerly anticipating book two because this book was just that good.  It was unique, kick-ass, and intense which are all things that made this book a winner for me.  It would be most accurate to say that I devoured this book- I started reading it and just couldn't stop.  

I have a certain weakness for books and shows (evidenced by my obsession to The Walking Dead) that feature "the end of society as we know it".  It is a scary thing to read about at times because it can feel all too real.  The world that this author created was perfect because it felt so real.  The constant hunt and search for supplies.  The attempt at creating a life and some new version of normal.   And of course the need to fight to survive.  If society really was to end, I am sure that all three of these things would be necessary which is a terrifying thought.  I loved how easily this author pulled me into this dark world that she had created.  It was so different from other books that I have read like this and I couldn't help but appreciate that fact alone.  Add to that two really great main characters and you have a winning read!  Oh, but I just loved the characters in this book and especially Jax and Lynn.  The chemistry between these two was just as hot as I had hoped for.  There are some secondary characters that really had me intrigued as well and I'm hoping to see more of them in the next book.  The ending of this book was completely intense!  I was on the edge of my seat reading as fast as I possibly could.  The author had some super creepy moments in there that made it even more intense!  I finished this book all too soon and was left wishing for more.  At least I have another book to look forward to although I sure do wish that I had it in my hands now!

Overall, this book was an amazing read that left me wanting more.  If anyone has recommendations for other post-apocalyptic romance reads, do share!  I love books like this but just don't know of enough of them.  I sure would like to add more to my TBR wishlist!  The romance in this book fit in perfectly with the story line (and didn't feel like it was shoved in as a side note) and left me feeling completely satisfied.  The intensity of this book and the world that the author created made this a thrilling read that I just couldn't get enough of.  I would highly recommend this book to romance fans and especially those of romantic suspense.  Highly recommended!

Bottom Line:  A great beginning to this series- it was just as good as I wanted it to be!

Disclosure:  I received a copy of this book thanks to the publisher and NetGalley. 

If you are interested, here is a link to another series that I have really loved similar to this one.  Nightfall by Ellen Conner was just as intense as this book was and also one that I loved to pieces!

1 comment:

  1. Post-apocalyptic romance sounds good to me too. I'm a big The Walking Dead fan as well and like you say, these end of the world scenarios can seem scarily real. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)