Friday, January 30, 2015

Behind Closed Doors by Shannon McKenna (thoughts)

Summary from Goodreads:

"Surveillance expert Seth Mackey knows everything about the women that his millionaire boss toys with–and tosses aside. Raine Cameron is something different. Night after night, Seth watches her on a dozen different video screens. Her vulnerable beauty haunts him and her fresh innocence stirs a white-hot passion that he can barely control. Raine is pure temptation, but Seth has something more important to take care of first. He’s convinced that his boss, Victor Lazar, is responsible for his half-brother’s murder. He cannot put his secret investigation at risk, but he can’t stop wanting her–craving her–and soon he knows he can’t let Victor have her. For Raine may be Victor’s next victim…"

My Thoughts:

So this is going to be an interesting review to write as I have very mixed feelings about this one.  I decided to go back to the beginning of this series after reading and liking the tenth book in the series, Fatal Strike.  I went back and read my thoughts on it and they were mostly positive with a few quibbles.  It is a good thing that I started with that book because I honestly don't think I would have continued on with this series otherwise.  

Behind Closed Doors was such a mixed bag for me.  I absolutely did not care for the hero whatsoever.  I wanted to kick him for a good majority of the book.  And because of this I could never get behind the relationship that developed between Raine and Seth.  For one, he is watching her without her knowing it which is creepy no matter how you write it.  Then he is a complete ass to her MULTIPLE times and my dislike factor just kept getting higher.  I think one of the reasons that I kept reading was that I wanted to see Raine stand up for herself to him.  And I mean really stand up for herself.  Not only to him but to everyone in her life as she just left people push her around.  Which was another completely frustrating thing to read about.  This might make you seriously wonder why I kept reading but there was something that just kept drawing me back.  I did want Raine to really gain the confidence that she so desperately needed. Also, the suspense portions of this book were really well done.  I found myself reading this one quickly and for long periods of time just so that I was able to see what was going to happen next.  Finally, I just really wanted to see how everything from Raine's past played into what was happening in the present.  The author had me intrigued by the storyline even if the characters frustrated the hell out of me.

Bottom Line, this isn't a book for everyone in my opinion.  I think that some will enjoy it and others will probably feel more like I did.  This was only an okay read for me and left me with mixed feelings.  Will I continue to read this series?  Probably as I'm hoping that it grows and develops more (and especially because I liked Fatal Strike so much more).  I am very interested to see other character's books because I have a feeling I am going to like them more.  I'm not going to recommend this one but instead will tell you to try Fatal Strike.      

Bottom Line:  Only an okay read for me.

Disclosure:  Checked out from my local library for my Kindle.  Thoughts are my own.

If you are interested here are my thoughts on Fatal Strike.  

5 comments:

  1. I hope the future books are better for you, Samantha. Just from the description of the book, I was feeling a little icky about Seth's behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've this book on my shelf. It's been sitting there for ages and I've forgotten about it until after reading your review. I think I got it after hearing a good friend raved about it. I guess after reading your thoughts I can let this book sit on the shelf a bit longer. ;-p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam, thanks for sharing your honest thoughts about this book. It's hard to like a book when the hero is truly unlikable. Terrific review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodness, yes, that hero really would try my patience so I don't know if this is one I would enjoy either. I've been meaning to give Shannon McKenna a try but maybe I'll start with a different book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wendy, I probably should have read the summary BEFORE reading the book but I just grabbed it since it was the first book in the series. It was very questionable behavior in my opinion and he acknowledges that but still.

    Melody, I looked at some reviews after writing up my thoughts and there are a lot of other people who enjoyed it way much more than I did. I am guessing that Seth and his behavior didn't bother them like it did me. You'll have to let me know if you do read it just so we can compare thoughts :)

    Suko, isn't that the truth? When I do like a character (especially a main one) I usually don't enjoy the book as much.

    Iliana, I would definitely start with a different book but don't let my thoughts on this one stop you from trying her. I have read another one in this series and enjoyed it. Plus, I saw a bunch of reviews that were positive about this one so it could just be me...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)