Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Wait For What Will Come by Barbara Michaels (thoughts)

Summary from Goodreads:

"She was the last of an ancient Cornish clan, and Carla Tregellas had inherited the pride of her family name - a huge mansion that loomed high above the jagged cliffs of Cornwall. She felt at home there right from the start, for everyone seemed so kind and welcoming. Everyone except Mrs. Pendennis, the eccentric housekeeper who advised Carla to leave at once to deter a tragic and inevitable fate. But Carla could not leave - for the invisible bonds of an ancestral curse were just beginning to take hold..."

My Thoughts:

Wait For What Will Come is my 3rd book by Michaels and has cemented my determination to read all of her books firmly in place. I adored the creepy atmosphere that the author created with this book; it reminded me of a gothic horror novel. It had all of the elements in place with an eerie, decrepit old house, an ancient legend, and of course mysterious happenings with little to no explanations. I found myself instantly caught up in the web that the author created...this book had me hooked and didn't want to let me go. And even though I found the book to be slightly predictable at times, overall I found that it didn't detract from my enjoyment whatsoever. I found myself lost in the mystery surrounding the house and couldn't wait to see what would happen next. The ending of the book did take me by surprise and I found it to be overall very satisfying.

All in all, I found this to be a very entertaining read and I'm eager to read more by this author! I love the gothic atmosphere and elements that she uses in her novels. Luckily enough for me, she has an extensive back list of books that I can choose from. I would highly recommend this author and this book!

Bottom Line: A creepy, atmospheric read...what more could you ask for???

Disclosure: Checked out from my local library. Now I'm off to check my library catalog to see what other books by her that they have available :)

The other two books that I have read by this author are Be Buried In The Rain (which I adored as well) and Into the Darkness (which I didn't care for as much but never ended up writing my thoughts on). After reading this book I do want to read the rest of the books that she has written eventually :)

6 comments:

  1. I love the setting and your thoughts on it have me intrigued. This is the first i have heard of it and the author..thanks for introducing me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The gothic atmosphere sounds great. I'll have to check this one out. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds creepy-good. Excellent review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the creepy feel, definitely adding to Wishlist. I haven't heard of this author.

    I recommend Amanda Stevens to you - Restorer, Kingdom and Prophet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never read anything by this author before but I do love a creepy atmosphere so I'll have to check this one out. Love the cover as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore Barbara Michaels. Her books are so fun and delightful! Have you read any of the stuff she writes as Elizabeth Peters? Not so much of the Gothic, but her Amelia Peabody mystery series is absolutely charming.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)