Monday, May 4, 2009

Fables: Legends In Exile by Bill Willingham

From the back of the book:

Who killed Rose Red? In Fabletown, where fairy tale legends live alongside regular New Yorkers, the question is all anyone can talk about. But only the Big Bad Wolf can actually solve the case- and, along with Rose's sister Snow White, keep the Fabletown community from coming apart at the seams.

My Thoughts:

This was my 1st foray into graphic novels and I enjoyed the experience. It seems everyone and their brother are enjoying graphic novels and it convinced me that I must give them a try. I started with the Fables series as Ladytink and a few others seemed to be really liking these so it seemed like a good place to start. And it was! Legends in Exile is a fast-paced whodunnit filled with fairy tale characters. It was an easy read that I finished in one sitting...I just couldn't put it down. I knew that there were clues that I was missing but I just didn't care and let the story take me along for the ride. The pictures added to the story for sure and it was a neat experience all around. Except this is an adult story and it kept catching my son's attention. He wanted to know what Mommy was reading (usually he could care less) and wanted to look at all of the pictures too. There wasn't anything awful just not the type of book that I wanted him looking at :) So we busted out a Hulk graphic novel for him and he was content looking at his own pictures. There isn't much else to say about this one except if you are like I was and on the edge on whether or not to give graphic novels a try...well, just try them. It was definitely a worthwhile experience and I will be reading more in the future!

My Rating: Not sure how to rate this to be honest with you but I think I'll say a 4 out of 5. If I keep reading graphic novels I think I'll figure out a different rating system maybe with a focus on the illustrations and also the story.
Challenges: 100+Book Challenge, Year of Reading Dangerously, New Author Challenge, Support Your Library Challenge

P.S.- Will somebody that has already read this series be kind enough to leave the title of the 2nd book in this series in the comments? Thanks!

12 comments:

  1. I'm really glad you enjoyed it, Sam! The second is Animal Farm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nymeth- Thank you so much! I'm going to request it from the library now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad you enjoyed it, i've heard good things about this one.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool!! We read the same thing this week! I loved it too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Naida- This was a fun read and should give it a try :)

    Stephanie- We did read the same thing this week, didn't we? I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you have given graphic novels a go and enjoyed your first read. This is a great series (I have read the first 4 and 1 of the Jack of Fables spin off series). I hope you keep reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rhinoa- I am always open to graphic novel suggestions :) I just requested the next two books in this series and am excited for them to come in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love this series. I didn't review it since it was a graphic novel but I did really, really like all the ones I read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this series! I am hoping to finish the last two books soon and then start in on the spin-off series! I wouldn't know how to rate a graphic novel either... That's why I don't rate! lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ladytink- I'm glad to hear it as you are the reason why I picked them up. I was intrigues when I heard how much you were enjoying them.

    Kailana- It is hard...I was thinking rating the story and the pictures seperately. I don't yet though as I haven't decided.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Horray - another graphic novel convert! The Fables series is wonderful straight through, as everyone above me has already said. :) I really, really enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Memory- I just picked the next two in this series up from the library and I cannot wait to get to them. So excited!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)