Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Mini Reviews (Wendy Walker, Ellie Alexander)

 

Summary from Goodreads:

"One night, Molly Clarke walked away from her life. The car abandoned miles from home. The note found at a nearby hotel. The shattered family that couldn't be put back together. It happens all the time. Women disappear, desperate to leave their lives behind and start over. She doesn't want to be found. Or at least, that's the story. But is that what really happened to Molly Clarke?"

My Thoughts:

Wow!  This was such a suspenseful and page turning read!  I cut the above summary short because I feel like it gives too much away to the reader.  Despite the fact that I read the full summary beforehand, this book had me all sorts of tense and anxious.  I started this book off on edge especially as I just knew that some of the choices the main character was making were going to lead to bad things.  It was like watching a horror movie unfold where you yell at the characters for the decisions that they are making.  This book was SO suspenseful that it actually had me anxious while reading it.  There were multiples times that I had to set the book down to give myself a bit of a break.  This book is also a heartbreaking look at grief and how a simple mistake can destroy a family.  I felt for Molly throughout this entire book because what happened to her family had absolutely destroyed her.  I empathized with her as a mother and also understood her even though it is something that I would never want to experience for myself.  And then the ending came with twists and turns that left me off balance.  What a book this was!  

Overall, I enjoyed this book immensely even if it stressed me out while I was reading it.  This was my first book by Walker but it definitely won't be my last.  I actually have a couple of her other books on my shelves already that I'm really looking forward to reading now.  This book has been all over #bookstagram and I can see why!  If you enjoy page turning reads filled with suspense and tension, then this is the book for you.  And after you read it, come talk to me about that ending because...Highly recommended!

Bottom Line:  A heart pounding and intense read that kept me glued to the pages!

Disclosure:  I received a review copy from NetGalley, the copy I read was courtesy of my local library, honest thoughts are my own.

Summary from Goodreads:

"Torte―the beloved small-town bakeshop run by Jules Capshaw―is set to hit the stage. But who would have guessed that murder would makes a surprise appearance?


It’s the role of a lifetime for Jules. The Shakespeare Festival has returned to Ashland, Oregon, for the season and Torte has been cast as the supplier of Elizabethan-era treats for the main event. But on the eve of opening night, a brawl between Jules’s friend Lance, the artistic director, and a strapping young thespian named Anthony almost brings down the house. . .and the next morning, Anthony is dead. Jules knows that Lance loves his drama―and his just desserts―but she also knows that murder is way off-script for him. Now it’s up to Jules to cut through a bevy of backstage betrayals and catty co-stars who all have their own secrets―before the curtain drops on someone else. . "

My Thoughts:

This is the 7th book in the Bakeshop cozy mystery series which is a personal favorite series of mine.  It's been awhile since I last picked up a book in this series but it felt like no time at all.  There is just something about this town, these characters, and these books that I cannot get enough of.  I always read this series wishing that Torte was an actual shop that I could visit because the descriptions of food and dessert never fail to make me hungry.    The mystery is honestly not even the thing that I care about the most with these books.  I will say that I was more invested in this mystery because of Lance being the prime suspect.  I love this character so really wanted to see Jules clear his name.  But for me, it is everything else that really brings this series to life.  It's the delicious descriptions of the food that they are always making and baking in the shop that keep me coming back to this series time and time again.  It's the characters that have really come to life for me seven books into this series.  It's the cozy feel that just makes everything feel okay especially when we are living in the midst of a pandemic.  I really cannot recommend this series enough!

Overall, I enjoyed this book immensely even though it isn't my favorite of the series.  My favorite so far is probably On Thin Icing but that's because I love a good snowstorm mystery.  I don't think that you necessarily have to read this series in order but I would recommend it if possible just because things that have happened in previous books are referenced in later books.  Plus, each book in this series is such a delight that it is completely worth taking the time to read them all!  If you are looking for a cozy mystery series to sweep you away from the every day craziness that we are living through, this is really it!  Highly recommended!

Bottom Line:  Another delightful addition to one of my very favorite cozy mystery series!

Disclosure:  I received a copy of this book thanks to the publisher and NetGalley.  Honest thoughts are my own.

2 comments:

  1. Both sound good, thanks for sharing your thoughts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelleyrae - They both were really were good! It depends on what you are in the mood but I definitely recommend them both!!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)