Friday, October 16, 2020

The Suicide House by Charlie Donlea (thoughts)

 

Summary from Goodreads:

"Inside the walls of Indiana’s elite Westmont Preparatory High School, expectations run high and rules are strictly enforced. But in the woods beyond the manicured campus and playing fields sits an abandoned boarding house that is infamous among Westmont’s students as a late-night hangout. Here, only one rule applies: don’t let your candle go out—unless you want the Man in the Mirror to find you. . . .


One year ago, two students were killed there in a grisly slaughter. The case has since become the focus of a hit podcast, The Suicide House. Though a teacher was convicted of the murders, mysteries and questions remain. The most urgent among them is why so many students who survived that horrific night have returned to the boarding house—to kill themselves.

Rory, an expert in reconstructing cold cases, is working on The Suicide House podcast with Lane, recreating the night of the killings in order to find answers that have eluded the school, the town, and the police. But the more they learn about the troubled students, the chillingly stoic culprit, and a dangerous game gone tragically wrong, the more convinced they become that something sinister is still happening. Inside Westmont Prep, the game hasn’t ended. It thrives on secrecy and silence. And for its players, there may be no way to win—or to survive. . . ."

My Thoughts:

I feel like I picked this book up at the perfect time of year for it.  Fall days call for slightly creepy thrillers just like this one!  Last year I read (and loved ) Some Choose Darkness by this author.  This book would actually be considered to be the sequel as it focuses on the same characters but the author stated at the end of this book that he intentionally wrote it so you could read this one as a standalone.  Do I think you should read them both (and in order)?  Definitely!  Only because they are both SO good so it's definitely worth your time!  I'm going off on a tangent here but I love how the author tied the other books he has written together at the end in that same author's note.  It makes me want to go back and catch up on everything else that he has written.  This book though was such a great read!  I picked it up and just couldn't set it down.  The combination of a boarding school, a secret society, the legend of the Man in the mirror, and then all of the mysterious death surrounding that abandoned house had me completely hooked!  The bonus to all of that (which totally would have been enough for me to pick this book up based on all of that alone) was getting to read more about Rory and Lane.  Rory's character is so unique and I was happy to get to read another book focused on her.  We also got to get to know Lane a bit more which was an added bonus.  There is also a true crime podcast aspect to this book that I think that readers will enjoy.  This book was such a page turner!  It's told from multiple viewpoints with short chapters which meant I just kept reading to see what happened next.  There hits one point though where - wham - the author completely pulled the rug out on me and I was here for it!  I loved that I didn't see that piece of the storyline coming at all!  I did feel like I had an idea of who was behind it all halfway through the book but I didn't mind.  There was just enough that I wasn't certain and let me tell you that I was completely compelled to see how it would all turn out regardless.  I really loved this one and cannot wait to read more by this author!

Overall, I definitely recommend checking this one out!  It was just SO good!  I'm really looking forward to going back and reading this author's backlist after enjoying both of the books I've read by him so much.  If you enjoy thrillers that keep you turning the page, this book is one to check out!  Highly recommended!

Bottom Line:  A five star read for me!  That should tell you everything you need to know!

Disclosure:  I received a copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher.  I read a copy courtesy of my local library.  Honest thoughts are my own.

CW:  Suicide, domestic abuse, violence, murder

1 comment:

  1. I love when a book comes along at the perfect time and this definitely sounds like the perfect read for you! It sounds interesting and one I need to pick up for fall!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)