Monday, November 26, 2018

Too Far Gone by Allison Brennan (thoughts)

Summary from Goodreads:

"Things finally seem to be going well for FBI Agent Lucy Kincaid. She's just finished training for Hostage Rescue, her husband's relationship with his son is back on track, and her tense relationship with her boss, Rachel Vaughn, has become much more bearable. That is, until her first hostage case throws everything off track.

When a man who appears under the influence and mentally unstable holds a group of people hostage and dies in a shootout with the FBI, Lucy is assigned to investigate what happened. His descent doesn't make any sense - he was an upstanding citizen a year ago and only started declining after a series of blackouts and strange occurrences. Even his autopsy seems suspicious, and the body has been cremated without the proper approval. As Lucy investigates, she realizes that this story may be more complicated than she thinks, and that her own life might be in danger."


My Thoughts:

Too Far Gone was such a fun and suspenseful read - I can't wait to read more books in this series!  I'm notorious (as you probably know by now) for starting series in the middle or just completely out of order which is what I did with this book.  It didn't matter though as I found myself completely sucked into this book from the very beginning pages.  There are two different mysteries or storylines going on.  One is the case Lucy is investigating of a man that was shot and killed after holding a group of people hostage at a coffee shop.  The second one relates to Lucy's husband Sean and his son who is staying with them for the summer but is possibly in danger.  I really found this to be such a suspenseful read because of these two different storylines.  You aren't sure if the storylines are going to connect or what is going on exactly.  I found myself really caught up within both storylines which was nice as I didn't prefer one over the other.  Instead I found myself reading as fast as I could which has happened a lot as of late (those darn reading slumps will do that to you).  It was nice to find myself swept away within the pages and reading at every free point that I had for a change.  I also really appreciated the fact that it didn't matter that I hadn't read the previous books in the series.  I wasn't lost and the author did a good job of including just enough of the back stories from other characters to allow me to get to know them.  I do plan on going back and starting at the beginning of this series very soon.  I was able to figure out the "bad guys" on one part of the storyline quite easily but it really didn't detract from my enjoyment of the book.  By then I was too caught up within the book already and just needed to see how it would all play out.  Those last one hundred pages or so were intense!  I couldn't stop reading at the point as I just had to see how it would all end.  So good!

Overall, I really enjoyed my time with this book and am excited to read more by this author.  I feel like this was the perfect book to pick up and really knock me out of the reading slump that I had been in.  I breezed through the pages and didn't want to set it down.  That's the sign of a great read right there!  Luckily for me I can go back to the beginning of this series to play catch up.  I think I have like thirteen more books to look forward to!  I love when that happens and I find a new long running series to catch up with!  I would recommend this book to fans of suspense and mysteries alike.  You definitely don't need to read the series in order from what I can tell so feel free to start right here if you haven't read this author yet.  I did and had a really great reading experience honestly!  Recommended!

Bottom Line:  A book that knocked me right of the reading slump that I had been in!

Disclosure:  I received a copy of this book thanks to the publisher for the book tour of this book.  Thoughts are honest and are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)