Thursday, May 10, 2018

Stillhouse Lake by Rachel Caine (thoughts)

Summary from Goodreads:

"Gina Royal is the definition of average—a shy Midwestern housewife with a happy marriage and two adorable children. But when a car accident reveals her husband’s secret life as a serial killer, she must remake herself as Gwen Proctor—the ultimate warrior mom.

With her ex now in prison, Gwen has finally found refuge in a new home on remote Stillhouse Lake. Though still the target of stalkers and Internet trolls who think she had something to do with her husband’s crimes, Gwen dares to think her kids can finally grow up in peace.

But just when she’s starting to feel at ease in her new identity, a body turns up in the lake—and threatening letters start arriving from an all-too-familiar address. Gwen Proctor must keep friends close and enemies at bay to avoid being exposed—or watch her kids fall victim to a killer who takes pleasure in tormenting her. One thing is certain: she’s learned how to fight evil. And she’ll never stop."


My Thoughts:

Wow - this was such an intense ride and left me beyond ready to get my hands on the second book when I finished.  If I had a copy of the second book ready and waiting for me - I'm 90% certain that I would have picked it up and continued on.  I enjoyed this book that much and wanted to see what was going to happen next!  This book was non-stop when it came to pacing.  The author creates this suspenseful and thrilling atmosphere from the very beginning and that feeling didn't end until the very last page of the book.  I literally could not stop reading this one because from very early on I became attached to Gwen and her kids.  As a mother she is doing all that she can to protect them - protecting them from the twisted legacy that their father has now left them and also protecting them from the public who may want retribution for the horror their father caused.  I almost felt that Gwen was paranoid at times and then their were other times when I realized she clearly wasn't.  You didn't know who she could trust while reading this book which really helped add to the layer of tension that Caine had already created.  I cannot put into words how intense I found this book and how hard it was for me to put down!  I believe I read this in two days but really I read the majority of it all in one day.  I just could not stop reading!  There were a few things I guessed but so many others that I did not.  I especially liked the ending because there was enough closure while also clearly setting things up for the next book.  I am so excited that I have the next book to look forward to!!!

Overall I really, really enjoyed my time with this suspenseful read which I'm sure you can tell from all of the gushing above.  If I gave ratings I would easily give this one five stars based off of intensity alone.  It was just so good!  I've read this author before - she has an urban fantasy series that I've read a few books from (and enjoyed) but I really feel like she has hit her stride with this series.  I hope that she continues to dip her hand in the mystery/thriller waters because I want more books just like this!  I can easily recommend this book to fans of suspense and thrillers.  I will give you the warning that you may want to have the second book ready to read as well.  I sure wished that I did after finishing this one!  Highly recommended!

Bottom Line:  A five star read for me - enough said!

Disclosure:  I received a copy of this book thanks to NetGalley and the publisher.  Thoughts are my own. 

5 comments:

  1. Very nice review! I've had the audio of this one for a while, but I can see that I need to make time to read it soon. And I totally understand about the urge to 'run not walk' to the next book in the series. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to read this series at some point...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this sounds intense! Great atmospheric cover too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am looking forward to reading this one. It sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has been on my TBR but you've moved it way up that list! I love that there is a connection to some of the characters. A lot of times thrillers are all plot based and the characters are really one note. I'm looking forward to reading this one!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)