Tuesday, October 10, 2017

I is For Innocent by Sue Grafton (thoughts)

Summary from Goodreads:

"When David Barney was acquitted in the shooting death of his wife, Isabelle, a good many thought that justice had not been served - including Kenneth Voight, Isabelle's former husband. Now, five years later, Voight is the plaintiff in a civil suit in which Barney stands accused of Isabelle's wrongful death. The stakes are high - Isabelle's estate is worth millions - but time is running short: the statue of limitations will cut Voight off in only a matter of weeks. Enter sexy, savvy ex-cop turned P.I. Kinsey Millhone, brought in by Voight to gather the necessary damning evidence. It doesn't take long, however, for Kinsey to find that while a lot of people hate David Barney, a lot more hated Isabelle. Suddenly a simple civil case becomes a deadly hunt for someone who once got away with murder . . . and may again . . ."

My Thoughts:

I waited way too long to read this book since finishing H is for Homicide.  I almost forgot how much I love this series and Kinsey herself.  Craziness, I tell you!  It was an absolute joy to read this book and get back to this series.  Kinsey as always is up to her usual hi jinks investigating a case where the defendant was found not guilty and now a civil case is being brought against him.  Her job is to basically make a case so that he doesn't get off free this time.  From the very beginning I found myself completely immersed within this book.  I couldn't stop reading it and was squeezing in reading time wherever and whenever I could.  It was just so fun to get back to reading about all of my favorite characters.  I also really liked the mystery in this story.  Was the defendant innocent of murder like the jury had found?  Or had they gotten it all wrong and let a killer off free?  The questions were there throughout the entire book and I didn't figure it out until the very end when Kinsey did as well.

I read these books entirely because Kinsey is such a great main character!  I love reading about her adventures and really just about her in general.  The author is so detailed with her books that it just all seems to come alive while you are reading.  I especially enjoy the fact that these are set before cell phones and the internet.  Kinsey uses the phone book and library while she is investigating a case rather than just looking things up online.  It's a throwback to a different time and different kind of lifestyle and I love visiting it.  I say that fully aware that I love the ability I have to stay in touch by cellphone with my oldest at all times (this is the Mom in me coming out - LOL!).  The ending of this book was very well done and unexpected.  I love that with this series I usually never guess how it is all going to end.  Doesn't mean that I don't try but I'm usually always wrong.  I just flew through the pages of this book and now I really want more.  Looks like a visit to my used bookstore is needed to get J is for Judgement soon!      

Overall, I found this to be a delightful addition to one of my very favorite mystery series!  I waited way too long to continue my reading of this series but I won't be making that mistake with the next book.  I don't think that you need to read this series in order but I would recommend it.  There is just so much to enjoy with these books and I can't recommend them enough!  I feel like this is a must read series for mystery fans.  Highly recommended!

Bottom Line:  Another great addition to one of my favorite series.

Disclosure:  I purchased a copy of this book from my local used bookstore.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)