Thursday, February 9, 2017

Fudge and Jury by Ellie Alexander (thoughts)

Summary from Goodreads:

"It’s almost spring in Ashland, Oregon, and the town is preparing for the Shakespeare and the annual Chocolate Festival. Business is cookin’ at Torte, and the store is expanding as Jules’ team whips up crèpes filled with mascarpone cheese and dark chocolate. Torte stands a chance of being this year’s confectionery belle of the ball! Life couldn’t be sweeter—unless murder taints the batter.


Evan Rowe, of Confections Couture, makes a chocolate fountain that would put Willy Wonka to shame, and his truffles are to die for—literally? Yes, the world-renowned chocolatier has just turned up dead…right after sampling a slice of Jules’ decadent four-layer chocolate cake. Now all eyes are on Jules as she tries to find the mysterious ingredient in her own recipe. Can she sift out the truth before another contestant bites the buttercream?"


My Thoughts:

Fudge and Jury is the latest installment in one of my favorite cozy mystery series! I have so been looking forward to this book and it didn't disappoint in the least.  I was so excited when I managed to snag a copy on NetGalley but I had to wait to read it just so that I could savor it.  Because we all know how impatient I am and the wait for the next book is going to feel SO long!  This book had everything that I love about this series, and I enjoyed every minute while I was reading it.  I read this series for the characters and the food period.  Both are so great and something that I just can't get enough of!  After five books now, I've come to really love the characters in this series but especially Jules.  I love that throughout the series we have watched her both struggle and grow as she tries to figure out her life and what she wants out of it.  In this book, we got the chance to see her struggle with the decision on whether or not to expand Torte.  With everything still up in the air in regards to Carlos, expanding Torte will be a major commitment to her life in Ashland.  I won't say what is decided as that would definitely be a spoiler but as always I love how real this series feels.  Jule's life isn't perfect but it comes to life in the pages of these books.  

Of course I can't share my thoughts on this book without talking about the food that is described throughout.  Every book in this series has just left me craving desserts of any and all kinds and this book was no different.  I would gain thirty plus pounds if I attempted baking all of the wonderful recipes that Jules creates throughout the books.  They all sound so delicious and it is no wonder that I'm constantly hungry while reading.  This book was particularly decadent as chocolate played such a prominent role in the Chocolate Festival that Jules is participating in.  I have a particular weakness when it comes to anything chocolate so this was right up my alley.  I could read all day long about the different types of cakes and pastries that are baked in Torte.  Yum, yum yum!  The mystery portion of this book was also intriguing.  I find that with this series that I'm sometimes less interested in the actual mystery than I am with everything else that is going on.  I guess that is what happens when you come to adore a series so much!  The actual mystery is secondary to everything else.  LOL!  It was still an intriguing story line though and I liked the way it ended as it just felt true to life.  I'm trying not to spoil anything so I won't say any more than that.

Overall this was another amazing addition to this series and one that I can highly recommend.  I cannot say enough good things about this series- each book is just so, so good!  I'm just bummed that I now have to begin the long wait for book six.  This book was worth the wait though and I'm sure that one will be as well.  With such great characters and delicious food, what else could I ask for in a cozy series like this?  For those readers who haven't tried this series yet, I do think that you could probably read this book without having read the beginning books.  The author does a great job of giving bits of the back story in each book so you could read this by itself.  I would recommend reading them all though because they are just that good.  Highly recommended to fans of mysteries and cozies alike!!

Bottom Line:  Another amazing addition to one of my favorite series.  Read it!

Disclosure:  I received a copy of this book thanks to NetGalley and the publisher.

3 comments:

  1. I still haven't read any books in this series. I have read one in her Oregon adventure series. I need more hours in the day!! The chocolate sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't checked this series out yet but I get the feeling that if I do I'll have to have some chocolate near me. I'm sure I'll be just imagining that chocolate festival! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This book sounds fantastic. I like the idea of the chocolate festival, although I try not to overindulge in chocolate. I'm glad you enjoyed another book in this series.

    Have a terrific weekend, Sam!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)