Friday, May 10, 2013

A Most Scandalous Proposal by Ashlyn Macnamara (thoughts)

 Summary from Goodreads:

"In Ashlyn Macnamara’s stunning romance debut—perfect for fans of Julia Quinn, Eloisa James, and Sabrina Jeffries—two childhood friends in Regency England discover love with the most unlikely of partners: each other."

My Thoughts:

I feel like I've been reading a lot more historical romances lately but it is books like this that are the reason why.  A Most Scandalous Proposal was a delight to read and if this is just the author's debut book then I can't wait to read more!  


From the very beginning I was caught up in the chemistry between Julia and Benedict.  I loved the friendship angle and found myself almost biting my nails hoping for their happy every after.  What I didn't expect was how much I would enjoy Julia's sister Sophie's storyline.  Sophie came off as a bit of a nitwit at first but as the book progressed I was really rooting for her.  I loved the way that her character developed and would have liked to see even more of her at the end.  I thought that the author also did an amazing job with not always doing the expected.  There was one point in the middle of the book where I was all set to be upset with the direction the book was going in.  But then the author managed to do a complete 360 with the storyline and I was completely onboard again!  I loved it!  The ending tied everything up quite nicely and left me feeling quite satisfied.  My only complaint was that I wanted more.  I wasn't ready to say goodbye to the characters at the end of the story.  Books like this are why I'm becoming such a huge fan of historical romances!

Overall, I found this book to be a very enjoyable read!  I'm so excited to read more by this author as she delivered a stunning debut.  This is definitely an author to watch!  I loved the relationships, chemistry, and friendships that developed between the main characters.  The author did an amazing job of really fleshing out the two sisters in a way that you couldn't help but root for them both.  It was just an amazingly good read!  Highly recommended and my many thanks to Lisa over at Books, Lists, Life for recommending it to me!

Bottom Line:  A historical romance that swept me into its' pages.

Disclosure:  I received a copy of this book for review thanks to the publisher and NetGalley.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE this genre and anything with Scandalous in the title grabs my attention :) Sounds like a great read! It's nice when a book leaves you wanting more. If you like historical romance, I recommend Scandalous Love by Brenda Joyce. See? Scandalous in the title :) lol happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I love historical romance and need something to jump start me back into the genre!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Naida- Thanks for the recommendation! I will check and see if my library has it :)

    Staci- I feel like I'm reading a lot more historical romance than I have in years. It is a nice change of pace for me and I'm really enjoying it!! (This author's newest book is on Netgalley by the way. LOL!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)