Thursday, June 24, 2010

Library Loot and a Call For Recommendations


You've all probably figured out by now that I'm a "library nut" and I'm not afraid to hide it. I have a strong tendency to check out way more than I can possibly read and one of my favorite things to do is put books on hold. But I ended up clearing out my library pile this week and taking almost all of them back. Except Greywalker by Kat Richardson as that's the book I'm currently reading. All of this means that I only have 8 books checked out...yep, I mean EIGHT!! This is unheard of for me as I usually grab that many in one trip at the library...okay, maybe two trips in one week or something like that :) Since I haven't shared my loot in awhile I thought I better share what I've got now.






1. The City and The City by China Mieville - I've always wanted to read something by this author so I literally snatched this one off of the shelves.

2. Blindsighted by Karin Slaughter - Thriller...need I say more?

3. The Founding by Cynthia Harrod Eagles

4. Grimspace by Ann Aguirre

5. The Magician's Apprentice by Trudi Canavan - Haven't a clue what this one is about but I was intrigued by the cover.

6. Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin - Really, really want to read this one... I think I may read it next.

7. Urban Shaman by C.E. Murphy

and of course Greywalker but that leftover from my last library loot post.

All of these are PLENTY to keep me busy especially since it is summer and I'm busy running around to ball games, boating, spending as much time outside as possible, etc. So you would think that I would be satisfied but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm in the mood for some recommendations and I'm not sure why or what I'm exactly looking for. I would like to say that I'm kinda going for the lesser known books that aren't all over the blogsphere (The Hunger Games I'm looking at you) and are maybe general fiction, women's fiction, literary fiction, or maybe just some speculative fiction. I really don't know to be honest...but if you would be so kind as to share any good reads that you've come across in the comments (that may or may not fit in with everything I said above) I would be eternally grateful. Seriously. And maybe I'll figure out this weird mood that I'm in.

12 comments:

  1. Lots of great books there.
    I picked up the Boneshaker based on your review. So thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, I know about weird moods. I just can't seem to be able to finish much of anything lately.

    Have you read Rebecca by du Maurier? I really liked that one and it keeps your interest throughout. A classic.

    I just listened to Thirteen Reasons Why and was hooked--but that's one that's been around the blogosphere several times (hello Hunger Games...).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blindsighted is awesome..I love Slaughter! I just went to the library yesterday returned a bunch and of course, brought home a bunch!! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda- I can't wait to hear your thoughts on Boneshaker! I'm thinking that it is going to be in my top ten for this year so I hope that you enjoy it as well :)

    Trish- I've read and loved Rebecca. In fact, just saying that makes me consider doing a reread on it as it has been awhile. I'm not sure what my deal is but I'm just book antsy or something.

    Staci- You are the reason that I picked Blindsighted up from the librrary. I am always looking for new thriller authors and you mentioned that she was one of your favorites so I decided to give her a go. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great haul. Its hard to go to the library and not grab books.
    happy reading :) I like Karin Slaughter too, Undone was great.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Naida- I can NEVER seem to leave the library without grabbing a book or two. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. as you know from my library lookt post im definitely all over the Sarah Addison Allen bandwagon. if you're in the mood for intriguing characters with a tinge of magic in small North Carolina towns, these are the books for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been more interested in lesser-known titles lately. But since I'm relaunching a blog collective devoted to pushing bookish boundaries, I suppose it's only appropriate.

    Can't wait to read what you think of The City and the City. Definitely want to try it, and it'll be my first Mieville.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Try Tomorrow, When the War Beganby John Marsden. It is the first in a series but it was a really good book. There is supposed to be a movie in a couple of months based on it. It's set in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhh Grimspace, heard great things about it! Looking forward to your thoughts on it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I look forward to your thought on Mieville's book, I've heard good things and wonder if it's one I'd like. I really enjoyed Mistress of the Art of Death when it came out, though some details are not for the faint of heart. Very interesting time period. She's got a second one out now too. I can't wait to hear what you think. Library Loot is one of my favourite memes, glad to have found another blogger with my tastes. Enjoy your loot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lusty Reader- I've checked out Garden Spells from the library before but have never gotten to it. I'll have to grab it again!

    Andi- It will actually be my first read by Mieville by well but I'm really excited about it since I've heard such good things about this author.

    Ladytink- Thanks for the recommendation. I'll definitely request it from the library..thanks again!

    Mollie- I read Blue Diablo by this author a month ago and decided I wanted to try her other series as well.

    Sandra- Glad to hear that you enjoyed Mistress of the Art of Death...I'm definitely intrigued by it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)