Monday, January 11, 2021

Top Ten Reads of 2020

2020 - I almost feel like just saying the year out loud is all that needs to be said.  This past year was an experience that I hope and pray we don't repeat.  My reading suffered at times more often than not.  I still had an amazing year quality wise - according to Goodreads my average rating was 4.3 - which feels about right when I think about it.  I have a tendency to set books aside that aren't working for me rather than finishing (and hating) them.  I finished 59 books total for the year which is on the lower side (according to Goodreads this ties my lowest year of reading since I've been keeping track on there which was back in 2017).  Living through a pandemic just meant that I was unable to concentrate on reading like I usually do - it is what it is.  I did read some really great books though that I'm excited to share about with all of you.  Here are the ten best books that I read in 2020:


Long Bright River by Liz Moore - This book deserves ALL of the hype that it received this year in my opinion.  What do you say about a book like this?  It was outstanding.  I fell into the pages of this book and was absolutely swept away.  The author brought the characters to life in a way that has me still thinking about them...still thinking about how realistic their struggles were and how true to life they are for so many....just wow!  This is a book that deserves to be talked about and widely read. I cannot wait to see what Liz Moore comes up with next!

In the Dark by Loreth Anne White - This book on the other hand didn't get the hype that it deserved in my opinion.  DON'T MISS OUT ON THIS AMAZING BOOK!  This book is the best tribute to Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None that I've read (besides the original book itself of course).  I loved this one so much that I instantly added ALL of this author's backlist to my TBR.  READ this book if you enjoy isolated mysteries that keep you guessing the entire time in the best of ways!


When You See Me by Lisa Gardner - Four books into this series and this author can do NO wrong in my opinion!  This mystery series is one of my absolute favorites because every book has been such a page turner filled with suspense!  I don't think that you have to start all the way at the beginning with book one (I didn't) but would suggest starting with the 1st book featuring Flora Dane which is Find Her.  This book gave us so many answers in regards to Flora which has me itching to see where the series goes next.  SOO GOOD!

The Good House by Tananarive Due - Wow!  This book absolutely blew me away in the best of ways.  Stephen King who?  Kidding - sort of - not really.  In all seriousness, I cannot begin to comprehend how more people aren't talking about this author and this book.  It's horror which I know isn't for everyone (it does have truly scary moments) but there is so much more to it.  Out of all of my favorites of the year - this is the one that I keep recommending over and over again in the hopes that many other readers will find it and love it like I did! I will be reading more by this author in 2021!


The Shape of Family by Shilpi Somaya Gowda - This book was another one that I felt flew under the radar (of bookstagram at least) which is an absolute shame!  This book was gorgeously heartbreaking at times and hopeful at others.  It had characters that I STILL think about and a storyline that I won't forget about anytime soon.  I need to read EVERYTHING else that this author has written!

The Sun Down Motel by Simone St. James - This book was one of the creepiest books I read all year (alongside The Good House of course).  This book was both dark and atmospheric making it a VERY suspenseful read.  And within the pages of this book the author manages to look at both violence against women and how victims are viewed in society by the way they lived.  Wow!  This is another author where I'm going to need to read EVERYTHING that she has written because this book was so damn good!


The Suicide House by Charlie Donlea - This is the 2nd year in a row that this author has made my top reads list of the year.  This book was page turning suspense at its finest!  I loved that in this book we were given the chance to learn more about Rory and Lane but was written where it could also be read as a standalone (I do recommend starting with Some Choose Darkness though if possible).  This book was a dark and thrilling read that I couldn't get enough of!

Don't Look For Me by Wendy Walker - This is my 1st book by this author but certainly won't be my last!  This book was a page turning, anxiety filled ride that I couldn't get enough of.  The author also really looks at a mother's grief over the loss of a child which wasn't always easy to read but yet... (I'm noticing a theme here of loving thrillers that take a look at some deeper issues as well).  I'm so excited to have found this author and will be checking out her entire backlist!


And Now She's Gone by Rachel Howzell Hall - This book was made my top reads of the year list easily!  There is just something about the way that this author writes that I just cannot get enough of.  It's the rhythm...the way that she keeps me guessing at every turn of the page...and the imperfections of her characters that keeps me coming back for more.  I'm determine to read this author's entire backlist which is why I'm already reading another of her books currently.

The Dead Season by Tessa Wegert - I actually read both books in this series (this is the 2nd) in 2020.  I've seen Death in the Family on a lot of favorites of the year list but for me this book is where it is at.  This book was a slow burning mystery filled with suspense in the best of ways.  I was absolutely there for the ride that the author was taking me on every step of the way.  I highly recommend both books in this series and I will be impatiently waiting for book three!

Looking back, I really did have such an amazing year of reading really great books.  There are at least six more books that could have been on this list.  Honorable mentions include the following - A Good Marriage by Kimberly McCreight, Cut to the Bone by Ellison Cooper, Revolver Road by Christi Daugherty, Shatter the Night by Emily Littlejohn, All The Best Lies by Joanna Schaffhausen, and Tuesday's Gone by Nicci French.  I could keep going which says it all.  

What book or books were your favorites of 2020?





11 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your 'top 10' list with us! I have several of these on my Kindle right this minute. I'm sure I'll get to them at some point, though I have been reading books that a little more gentle since the first of the year. It's all good though. Hope you have a fun reading year in 2021!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, I like the idea of reading more gentle books - especially with the way this new year started. I just started the newest release in one of my favorite cozy mystery series for that reason as well. I needed a cozier book especially with this upcoming week ahead of us! I hope that 2021 is a wonderful year of reading for you!

      Delete
  2. It was such a rough year for all of us, wasn't it? It looks like you read some great books, even if not as many as you normally would have. The Sun Down Motel is on my list of TBR books. I am glad to see it among your favorites. I hope you have a great 2021. Hopefully it will be better for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, yes it really was quite a difficult year. You definitely need to pick up The Sun Down Motel as I think that you will love it! It's so good! I hope that 2021 is a wonderful year for you as well!

      Delete
  3. Loved reading about your favorites! I also found my reading was all over the place last year. I just want us to get over this pandemic but ugh, right now things are definitely not looking good. Anyway, I haven't read any of these although some are on my list. I've had The Good House on my shelves for years! Maybe this year I'll finally get to it. Hope you have a great reading year ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, I'm praying that we start to see the light at the end of the tunnel when it comes to the pandemic. I really do hope that you read and enjoy The Good House as much as I did. It's very dark (so make sure you are in the right head space for it) but absolutely amazing! I cannot say enough good things about it! I hope that 2021 is a wonderful year for you as well!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love reading about readers' favourite books! I'm glad to see The Sun Down Motel is on the list, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melody, wasn't The Sun Down Motel just so good? I plan on reading some of this author's backlist in 2021 because I loved this one so much! I also really enjoy reading about other readers favorite books! It just keeps adding to my TBR! I hope you have a wonderful year of reading in 2021!

      Delete
  6. Such a great list Stacy, Long Bright River is on my January list to read. I have 4 others on my list for this year. Always great to get recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marce, I loved Long Bright River so much and hope that you do as well! The characters are ones that I won't forget about anytime soon! I hope that you have a wonderful year of reading in 2021!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)