Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Mini Reviews (Jill Shalvis, Ellison Cooper)

Summary from Goodreads:

"Brynn Turner desperately wishes she had it together, but her personal life is like a ping-pong match that’s left her scared and hurt after so many attempts to get it right. In search of a place to lick her wounds and get a fresh start, she heads back home to Wildstone.

And then there’s Kinsey Davis, who after battling serious health issues her entire twenty-nine years of life, is tired of hoping for . . . well, anything. She's fierce, tough, and pretty much the opposite of Brynn except for one thing: they're half-sisters. Kinsey is keeping this bombshell, and a few others as well. Long time frenemies from summer camp, there’s no way she’s going to tell Brynn they’re related.

But then Brynn runs into Kinsey's lifelong best friend, Eli, renewing a childhood crush. He’s still easy-going and funny and sexy as hell. When he gets her to agree to a summer-time deal to trust him to do right by her, no matter what, she never dreams it’ll result in finding a piece of herself she didn’t even know was missing. She could have a sister, love, and a future―if she can only learn to let go of the past.

As the long days of summer wind down, the three of them must discover if forgiveness is enough to grasp the unconditional love that’s right in front of them."

My Thoughts:

It kind of feels strange to be writing my thoughts on The Summer Deal when there is snow on the ground but that's what happens when you fall behind on reviews.  I started the year off reading and enjoying Almost Just Friends which is the 4th book in the Wildstone series by Jill Shalvis (this is book five).  I really enjoyed that one so was excited to pick this one up - and it was just as delightful as I had hoped.  This is one of those books where I just loved each and every one of the characters (even when they acted in ways that frustrated me).  They all just felt so real with their worries, imperfections, and hopes.  There is a lot going on in this book which made for a fast paced read.  I was constantly wondering when and how Brynn would find out that she had a half sister - and that it was Kinsey (not a spoiler - it's in the summary of the book).  I also adored Brynn's two moms.  The parts of this book where they were involved had me grinning the entire time.  I loved the romance and chemistry that was building between Brynn and Eli.  But what I really loved the most about this book was Kinsey and her not a relationship with Dek (it's been a few months so correct me if I'm misremembering his name).  I LOVED these two together so much, and all I wanted was for them to figure out their relationship and for Kinsey to finally let him into her life all of the way.  Ugh!  It was just so good and despite the fact that Brynn and Eli were both really great - these other two were the ones I was rooting for the most.  There were a lot of serious moments in this one so make sure you check out the content warnings.  My one and only complaint was the lack of communication at times between the characters kind of made me crazy at points.  That being said, I really enjoyed this one overall and cannot wait to read more of the books in this series.  I believe there is a new one coming out in January and I will be all over it!

Overall, this is a series and book that I couldn't help but enjoy.  It was the perfect change of pace between the mysteries and thrillers that I normally pick up.  There is just something about the way that Jill Shalvis writes characters that I cannot seem to get enough of.  I love watching the characters work through their issues and find love with one another.  It's delightful!  I would recommend this book to fans of romance (especially contemporary romance) and also those readers who enjoy women's fiction.  Recommended!

Bottom Line:  A delightful read with characters that I still haven't forgotten about months later!

Disclosure:  I received a copy of this book thanks to the publisher and NetGalley.  Honest thoughts are my own.

CW: Organ failure, illness, abusive relationships

Summary from Goodreads:

"After grieving the death of her fiancé and almost losing her job, Agent Sayer Altair is finally starting to rebuild her life. Her research into the minds of psychopaths is breaking new ground and her strange little family is thriving. But Sayer’s newfound happiness is threatened when she is called in to investigate a girl’s body left inside a circle of animal figurines below a cryptic message written in blood. When they discover that the dead girl is one of twenty-four missing high school students, Sayer quickly realizes that nothing in this case is what it seems.

As the investigation draws her in to a tangled web of fake identities and false leads, the trail soon begins to point directly to her own life. Now, Sayer must confront her painful past to uncover her connection to the deranged killer if she hopes to save the missing teens and protect everything that she loves."

My Thoughts:

This series is one of my absolute favorites!  It's also the 3rd book in the series so it is definitely going to be a bit difficult to talk about without sharing spoilers.  I had been looking forward to this book for months and it was completely worth the wait!  The things about all of the books in this series is that they are just so hard to put down!  The premise of this one had me hooked from the very beginning.  Twenty-four missing high school students that were supposed to be on a school trip - it was a suspenseful setup.  But what I didn't expect (but loved) was how much this book tied in elements from her two previous books.  I won't say any more because I don't want to spoil anything but WOW.  Does this author know how to pull the rug from under you or what?  And then the way this book ended....PLEASE tell me that we will be getting a 4th book in the new year because I NEED it!  Need it.  I flew through the pages of this book just as I have done with the previous two books.  My favorite of the series so far still remains as Caged but all three of these books were standout reads for me.  If you haven't checked this series out yet, then what are you waiting for?!?  It's SO good - you won't regret reading these.  I do suggest reading them in order because there are things that happen in each book that carry over into the other books.  

Overall, I cannot say enough good things about this series or really even this book!  We got a lot more than I expected with this one which I really enjoyed.  I'm itching to get my hands on book four - it's going to be a long wait for that one but I will be first in line to read it.  If you enjoy police procedurals (this is FBI so not quite the same) and darker mysteries, I definitely would say to give this series a try.  This author is on my must read list where I will read anything/everything that she writes.  Highly recommended!

Bottom Line:  Another really great addition to one of my very favorite mystery series!

Disclosure:  I received a copy of this book thanks to the publisher and Netgalley. I ended up reading a copy courtesy of my local library.  Honest thoughts are my own.

CW: Violence, Harm to teenagers, kidnapping, child's death.

 

2 comments:

  1. I love Jill Shalvis but haven't read anything by her in far too long. This sounds like a great one. I need to add Ellison Cooper to my TBR. I love procedural mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katherine, I really think that you would enjoy the Ellison Cooper series! It's just so good! And I love Jill Shalvis' books - they are the perfect break in between the mysteries I always read.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)