Tuesday, July 7, 2020

The Lost and Found Bookshop by Susan Wiggs (thoughts)

Summary from Goodreads:

"There is a book for everything . . . 

Somewhere in the vast Library of the Universe, as Natalie thought of it, there was a book that embodied exactly the things she was worrying about.

In the wake of a shocking tragedy, Natalie Harper inherits her mother’s charming but financially strapped bookshop in San Francisco. She also becomes caretaker for her ailing grandfather Andrew, her only living relative—not counting her scoundrel father.

But the gruff, deeply kind Andrew has begun displaying signs of decline. Natalie thinks it’s best to move him to an assisted living facility to ensure the care he needs. To pay for it, she plans to close the bookstore and sell the derelict but valuable building on historic Perdita Street, which is in need of constant fixing. There’s only one problem–Grandpa Andrew owns the building and refuses to sell. Natalie adores her grandfather; she’ll do whatever it takes to make his final years happy. Besides, she loves the store and its books provide welcome solace for her overwhelming grief.

After she moves into the small studio apartment above the shop, Natalie carries out her grandfather’s request and hires contractor Peach Gallagher to do the necessary and ongoing repairs. His young daughter, Dorothy, also becomes a regular at the store, and she and Natalie begin reading together while Peach works.

To Natalie’s surprise, her sorrow begins to dissipate as her life becomes an unexpected journey of new connections, discoveries and revelations, from unearthing artifacts hidden in the bookshop’s walls, to discovering the truth about her family, her future, and her own heart."


My Thoughts:

The Lost and Found Bookshop is one of those books that is just meant for book lovers!  I mean, I can't be the only one who would love to inherit a bookshop (although I would definitely take a hard pass on how she inherits the bookshop - let's be honest).  This book deals very openly with grief and loss - and the struggles that come from it which I feel like needs to be said because it might hit too close to home for some readers.  The bookshop itself though just was such a bright spot for me and all I wanted was for Natalie to understand that as well.  I loved all of the characters in this book but especially her grandfather!  He was just so sweet and I just wanted everything to work out for the both of them.  I also really, really enjoyed the chemistry between Natalie and Peach.  The two of them just worked so well together which meant that I couldn't help but want them to find their happy ever after.  My one complaint with this book is that it took them so long to figure out their feelings/what they wanted.....I just wanted the opportunity to see their relationship develop a little more is the best way to put it.  That being said, I was totally behind their relationship because they were just perfect together!  And anyone could see that even if they didn't see it themselves until later on.  This book felt like just the perfect summer read!  It had its heavier moments as Natalie tried to navigate her grief over the unexpected loss of her mother.  But it also had just enough lightness to it that meant I was able to breeze through it!

Overall, I enjoyed this book and getting to know these characters!  This is my 2nd book by this author and she is definitely going to be one of my go to's authors for this type of book.  It felt like the perfect blend of romance and women's fiction all combined into one really good book.  I think that readers that enjoy books featuring bookshops, those who enjoy a slow building romance, and those who enjoy women's fiction will really enjoy this book!  I'm looking forward to diving more into this author's backlist after enjoying this one so much.  Recommended!

Bottom Line:  A really great summer read for book lovers!

Disclosure:  I received a copy of this book thanks to the publisher and NetGalley.  Honest thoughts are my own.

4 comments:

  1. I just bought this one and look forward to reading it. Yes, I'd like a bookshop to run. It might be fun or it might be a lot of work. Maybe I'll just read about having one. Sounds like a winner of a book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, this sounds like a great book for book/bookshop lovers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to pick this one up. I can never resist a bookish book and Wiggs is one of my favorites for this genre (if you haven't read The Apple Orchard by her I recommend it!). Adding to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like I've read several books with this kind of premise and I don't get tired of them. You are right, for bookworms this is like a dream! :)
    Looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)