Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Sugar and Vice by Eve Calder (thoughts)

Summary from Amazon:

"OUT OF THE OVEN

Lately, Kate has a lot on her dessert plate. She’s launching a cookie-of-the-day challenge in the heart of Coral Cay, providing sweet treats for the reception of the town’s handsome new veterinarian—not to mention dealing with tourists in town for a pirate festival and the surprise arrival of her former fiancé, Evan, who seems determined to win her back.
AND INTO THE FIRE

And if that’s not enough, a skeleton has been found—in the backyard behind her best friend Maxi’s floral shop. Kate knows Maxi could never hurt a fly. Maybe the remains belong to Sir George Bly, a long-dead pirate whose name has become urban legend—until now? It’s time for Kate to use every trick in the recipe book to prove Maxi’s innocence, and find the truth about the skeleton, before the last of the cookies crumble…"
My Thoughts:
Sugar and Vice is the 2nd book in the Cookie House cozy mystery series.  I've read books one and two in this series and enjoyed them both.  The thing that I enjoy about this series is that in book one (slight spoiler although not really much of one) Kate moves to Coral Cay to get a fresh start in her life.  I really enjoy that in these two books we have gotten to see her work towards that new life.  I can't help rooting for her because of it.  I also really enjoy all of the characters in this series!  Maxi especially is a great secondary character so I liked the fact that this book focused on her and her business so much.  One of the things that surprised me most about this book though was the ending.  I didn't see it coming which really added to my enjoyment.  I fully admit that there are many times with cozy mysteries where you can guess the ending early on (even though I find that still doesn't affect my enjoyment too often).  That did not happen here as I didn't see the ending coming from a mile away!  I loved how surprised I was by the ending of this one and also where the author went with it.  I'll leave it at that because I don't want to spoil anything for others.
Overall, I enjoyed this book and will continue reading more of this series with future books!  This book was fun and a good way to keep my mind off of everything that has been going on in the world lately.  I'm curious to see where the author goes next with this series.  It should be interesting and I will definitely be there for it!  I think that readers that enjoy cozy mysteries or are looking for mysteries that are on the lighter side (meaning not dark and gory) would enjoy this one.  I do think that this book can be read out of order, but I would recommend reading the books in order if possible.  There's only two currently so you have plenty of time before the next book releases!  Recommended.
Bottom Line: A fun addition to this cozy mystery series!
Disclosure:  I received a copy of this book thanks to the publisher and NetGalley. Honest thoughts are my own.

2 comments:

  1. Cookies you say? I'm all in. Sounds like a fun cozy series to check out. Like you said, with all that is going on in the world it's nice to be able to spend time reading something fun and light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so enjoyed this one! I think this is one of those series that just clicks with me and I've loved both this one and the first book. Glad you enjoyed it as well!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)