Wednesday, June 26, 2019

The Right Sort of Man by Allison Montclair (thoughts)

Summary from Goodreads:

"In a London slowly recovering from World War II, two very different women join forces to launch a business venture in the heart of Mayfair--The Right Sort Marriage Bureau. Miss Iris Sparks, quick-witted and impulsive, and Mrs. Gwendolyn Bainbridge, practical and widowed with a young son, are determined to achieve some independence and do some good in a rapidly changing world.

But the promising start to their marriage bureau is threatened when their newest client, Tillie La Salle, is found murdered and the man arrested for the crime is the prospective husband they matched her with. While the police are convinced they have their man, Miss Sparks and Mrs. Bainbridge are not. To clear his name--and to rescue their fledging operation's reputation--Sparks and Bainbridge decide to investigate on their own, using the skills and contacts they've each acquired through life and their individual adventures during the recent war.

Little do they know that this will put their very lives at risk."


My Thoughts:

The Right Sort of Man was an absolutely delightful beginning to this historical mystery series!  I'm finding more and more that I just enjoy historical mystery series.  There is something about the historical details in books like this and added to it a mystery that I just can't get enough of.  This book is set after World War II which made it all the more interesting to me.  The details that the author included of what life was like after the war ended - well, I just couldn't get enough of them!  I fully immersed myself in the pages of this book and this time period.  I just have to tell you how much I enjoyed this book and the two main characters.  Iris and Gwendolyn are as different as you could possibly be from one another.  But they have formed this matchmaking type of business together and are committed to making it successful.  When one of their clients is killed, they decide that they simply must investigate in order to clear the name of their business which is being run through the dirt by the newspapers.  I adored each of these characters for so many different reasons but mainly because their differences complemented one another.  Iris has a secret history to her that is alluded to at times but it is this history that gives her an edge when it comes to investigating the murder.  Gwendolyn on the other hand is someone who is just really starting to get her feet under her and find her inner strength after her husband's death.  Both women are characters that you can't help but root for and want to get to know more of.  I'm so glad that this book is just the beginning to this series because I want more!  More books featuring these two characters and more books like this in general!  

Overall, I enjoyed this book immensely and am left so excited about this series and author!  The historical details alone would have me coming back for more.  But then add in two great main characters and a compelling mystery and you have the perfect combination in my opinion.  This was also one of those books that I just didn't want to set down.  I found myself at one point trying to read ahead because I was so curious to see what would happen with that particular storyline (no worries though - I managed to stay where I was and just read on).  This book truly read like a standalone - I cannot tell you how thrilled I am that this is actually the beginning to a series.  I'm so excited to revisit these two characters in the near future and see what other trouble they will find themselves in!  Highly recommended!

Bottom Line: An absolutely delightful beginning to this historical mystery series! I need more books like this in my reading life!

Disclosure:  I received a copy of this book thanks to the publisher - honest thoughts are my own.



Spoiler Section (Stop here if you haven't read book):

Okay so one of the things that I really liked about this book was that Iris was a spy before opening her business with Gwendolyn.  It gives her past a bit of mystery to it as you wonder exactly what she has gone through and what else she has done.  I'm speculating here but I've got to think that her background will play a bigger part in future books.  I also liked how the ending seemed wrapped up but it ended up with Iris and Gwen solving two separate mysteries. They managed to find the real killer and solve the mystery of what was really going on with Tillie before she was murdered. I thought going into it that those two things would be one and the same but they weren't which left me quite pleased with the ending. I love when a mystery keeps my guessing until the end and this one definitely did that!  Have you read this book yet?  If you have and want to discuss, just send me a message! All I need to remember with this book really is read book two!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read this yet, but went ahead and read your spoiler section anyway. I never mind a spoiler or two. Anyway, I've put this one on my list because I think it might suit me very well in upcoming days. Glad you enjoyed it so much! Have you read Susan Elia MacNeal's Maggie Hope books? Can't remember if we've talked about those. And if you haven't tried DEAR MRS. BIRD, you might like that one too. Hope you are having a good summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kay, I haven’t read either of those authors so thanks for the recommendations!! I have been having a good but busy summer so sorry that I’m so behind on my response :) I’m adding both of these to my TBR list. I hope your summer is going great as well!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)