Tuesday, June 12, 2018

The Body Counter by Anne Frasier (thoughts)

Summary from Goodreads:

"Months after discovering the mastermind behind her own kidnapping, Detective Jude Fontaine is dealing with the past the only way she knows how: by returning to every dark corner of it. But it’s a new, escalating series of mass slayings that has become her latest obsession at Homicide.
At first, Jude and her partner, Detective Uriah Ashby, can see no pattern to the seemingly random methods, the crime scenes, or the victims—until they’re approached by a brilliantly compulsive math professor. He believes that the madman’s next move is not incalculable; in fact, it’s all part of a sequential and ingenious numerical riddle. His theory is adding up. The body count is rising.
But when the latest victim is found in Jude’s apartment, the puzzle comes with a personal twist that’s going to test the breaking point of her already-fragile state of mind. For all she knows, her number may be up."
My Thoughts:
I remember finishing The Body Reader two years ago and just wishing that the author would turn that book into a series.  I loved that book so much (which seems really strange to say considering how dark and twisted it was) and I just wanted more!  You can probably imagine how thrilled I was when I then heard about this book and realized that my wish had come true.  I couldn't wait to crack this book open which meant I almost instantly started reading it.  I will tell you here and now that it was just as good as I hoped and knew that it could be.  I loved my time with this book!  Loved it!  And yes it also feels strange to say that still as this book is just as dark as the first book was.  There is just something about Jude's character that is so compelling.  I never know what to expect from her or how she is going to react.  I also really, really like Uriah's character (her partner on the police force).  They compliment each other so well and there is just something so unreachable to both of them.  I don't know how else to explain it but it sure makes for really great reading.  One thing that I did struggle with at the beginning of this book was remembering all of the details from the previous book.  It had been a few years so it wasn't as fresh in my mind as I would have liked.  It didn't effect my enjoyment too much though as I just went back and read my thoughts on the first book.  I will say that this is probably a series best read in order but since there currently only two books that is completely doable.  The mystery portion of this book was both gruesome and compelling.  I couldn't stop reading because I just had to see how everything was going to end.  This was a book that I just found myself so completely immersed within.  It was such a great reading experience and once again I was left wanting more.  More books featuring these characters that I just can't seem to get enough of!  More mysteries that pull me in and don't let me go!  I just want more and that's never a bad thing when it comes to books!
Overall I really, really enjoyed this book so much that it has now cemented the series on to my personal favorites list.  I will basically read everything and anything that this author writes!  But that long wait for book three......luckily it looks like this author has other books that I can check out in the meantime.  I really can't say enough good things about this author and these two books.  This is easily a five star read for me which should say it all right there!  I will say that this series won't be for everyone as it has trigger warnings galore thanks to everything that Jude has gone through in her past.  It's something that she is constantly dealing with and I feel like it comes across so realistically.  She is a character that you can really root for even when you don't know what to expect from her.  I'll say it again here - start with this first book and if your reading tastes are anything like mine then you won't be disappointed.  I would highly recommend this series to readers of mysteries and thrillers!  
Bottom Line:  A book that is most likely going to be on my top reads list for 2018!
Disclosure:  I received a copy of this book thanks to the publisher and NetGalley.  Thoughts on it are my own. 
This book is published today June 12th if you are interested! 

3 comments:

  1. So, you think I'd like this one? Ha! I have known about the first book in the series and did read about this one too. Have not tried them, but will be putting them firmly on my TBR to pick up soon. Your tastes and mine overlap a lot. Suspect I'll like them too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I think I have to add this one to my list! Glad to hear you really enjoyed this one. Do you know if she has more books upcoming in the series?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when a book grabs me so thoroughly. This sounds awesome, Sam! I will have to add this one to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)