Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Gone Without a Trace by Mary Torjussen (thoughts)

Summary from Goodreads:

"Hannah Monroe's boyfriend, Matt, is gone. His belongings have disappeared from their house. Every call she ever made to him, every text she ever sent, every photo of him and any sign of him on social media have vanished. It's as though their last four years together never happened.

As Hannah struggles to get through the next few days, with humiliation and recriminations whirring through her head, she knows that she'll do whatever it takes to find him again and get answers. But as soon as her search starts, she realizes she is being led into a maze of madness and obsession. Step by suspenseful step, Hannah discovers her only way out is to come face to face with the shocking truth..."


My Thoughts:

This book was completely not what I expected it to be.  It is funny when you go into a book knowing next to nothing but still "think" that you have an idea of what is going to happen.  Obviously that isn't what happened here at all!  I don't know what I was really expecting other than a thriller.  What I got was a thriller but also an intense psychological reading experience.  There was always this feeling while I was reading this book that everything wasn't as it seemed.  As the reader, you don't know who or what you can trust.  That helped to make the book quite a page-turner for me!  I'm going to get into slightly spoiler-ly ground here so stop reading if you don't like possible spoilers and skip ahead to the next paragraph.  I found about halfway through the book that I didn't trust Hannah either.  I also didn't quite care for her either.  I don't think that we are really supposed to do either though.  That is the point of the book- that we don't know or what to believe when it comes to Hannah's missing boyfriend.  I would say that I figured out some of the mystery about 3/4ths of the way through the book.  Not everything though which is why I was unable to set the book down until the very end.  I cannot wait to see what other readers think about that ending.  It is one to discuss, that's for sure!  Actually, I think that there are a lot of different things that you could discuss about this book.  The author isn't afraid to make really unexpected choices when it comes to the story line.  It gives readers a lot of things to mull over and talk about!

Overall, I enjoyed my time reading this book as it was a unique reading experience.  It was different than many of the other thrillers I've read so far this year and I appreciated that.  I still stick with my statement previously that I'm a bit over all of these unlikeable main characters.  Ha!  I can't really complain much as this was too compelling of a read.  I love how willing this author was to take chances with this book.  I'm looking forward to seeing what she comes up with next!  I can easily recommend this one but especially to those readers who love suspenseful and thrilling reads.  A solid four star read for me (if I actually gave star ratings that is).

Bottom Line:  A thriller that kept me on my toes as I didn't know what to expect!

Disclosure:  I received a copy of this book courtesy of the publisher and NetGalley.

1 comment:

  1. This one sounds good even with the unlikeable characters.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)