Wednesday, February 10, 2016

The Hunter by Kerrigan Byrne (thoughts)

Summary from Goodreads:

"A scandalous proposal.

As one of London't most elite hunters, Christopher Argent never misses his mark and always gets his man. But when his latest target turns out to be a woman—the popular, and stunningly beautiful, actress Millie LeCour—it turns his whole world upside-down. Overwhelmed by the heat that simmers between them, Christopher can't complete his mission. On the contrary, he'll do anything to save Millie's life—even if it means risking his own...

A dangerous passion...

When she learns what Christopher was hired to do, Millie is torn between the fear in her heart and the fire in her soul. Putting herself in this dangerous man's arms may be her only path to safety—but giving in to her desire may be the deadliest mistake she's ever made. With both of their lives in jeopardy, Millie and Christopher must learn to trust the real feelings they're hiding—to find the true love they're looking for..."


My Thoughts:

This book!  I don't even have words for this book other than: READ IT!  This was one of those books that I could not get enough of and didn't want to stop reading.  I read this one in a matter of days because I just could not put it down!  Even now I'm having trouble putting into words how and why I loved this book so much.  Let's start from the beginning and I will try to explain why I thought this book was so great (with emphasis on the word try here).  Easily one of the things that I loved most about this book was the premise.  Falling in love with your would be assassin sounds next to impossible if I'm being entirely honest.  The author took this story line and made me believe in it.  From the very beginning I was wary but this author managed to pull me in and want it to work.  I found that I was behind Christopher and Millie's relationship from the first time that they met and was very eager to see how they would work everything out.  How Millie was ever going to be able to fully trust Christopher was beyond me but I wanted her to.  Basically I was reading this one just with the willingness that goes along with instantly trusting the author to take me on an emotional ride.  I was all in and this book definitely was able to make me feel all of the emotions.  

One of the other things that I enjoyed about this book was the chemistry between Christopher and Millie.  These two had some serious chemistry going on and it was hot!  I especially loved how we were able to see Christopher open up slowly but surely.  He was so closed off at the beginning of the book and I loved seeing how he changed.  I was also very intrigued by the story line and trying to figure out who wanted Millie dead and why.  It made this book much more fast paced as it constantly felt like there was danger lurking around every corner.  I found myself reading this book constantly and fitting in chapters whenever I could.  I just needed to see how it was all going to end.  This book also had one of the more creepy villains that I have come across and there was a scene towards the end of this book that was so intense!  By the end of this book I was at the point where I knew I wasn't setting it down and had to finish.  The ending was absolutely perfect in my opinion.  I ended this one with a smile on my face even though I was sad to see the book come to an end.  I loved these characters so much and am hoping that we will see more of Christopher and Millie in future books.

Overall, this was such an engaging and unique historical romance.  This is a book that I won't be forgetting any time soon and will definitely be rereading at some point.  I have read some good historical romance lately but this one is one of my favorites by far.  I love how the author took a relationship that I totally thought wouldn't work and made me believe in it.  This was a book that put me through the wringer emotionally but I loved every minute of it.  I just plain loved this book!   Luckily for me I have the first book in this series to look forward to.  I won't be waiting long to read it.  Highly recommended but especially to those historical romance readers.  

Bottom Line:  One of the best historical romances that I've read in a long time.  Sigh....I loved it!

Disclosure:  I received a copy of this book thanks to the publisher and NetGalley.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds really good! I would be skeptical of a relationship between the two as well, given he's there to assassinate her. It sounds though like the author was able to pull if off well. Adding this one to my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read a historical romance for ages and this sounds like a good one! Onto the wishlist it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oo so -- do they go on a road trip? Possibly my favorite type of romance novel is the type where they have to go on a road trip. It is usually that they are fleeing from danger, cause otherwise it would not be Proper for a gentleman and a lady to be on a road trip together.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)