Monday, September 28, 2015

Accidents of Marriage by Randy Susan Meyers (thoughts)

Summary from Goodreads:

"Accidents of Marriage explores a topic rarely shown in fiction: the destruction left in the wake of spouse’s verbal fury. Ben never meant to hurt Maddy. He never imagined his recklessness would lead to tragedy.

Maddy is a social worker trying to balance her career and three children. Years ago, she fell in love with Ben, a public defender, drawn to his fiery passion, but now he’s lashing out at her during his periodic verbal furies. She vacillates between tiptoeing around him and asserting herself for the sake of their kids – which works to keep a fragile peace – until the rainy day when they’re together in the car and Ben’s volatile temper gets the best of him, leaving Maddy in the hospital fighting for her life."


My Thoughts:

What an intense read!!  I've heard so many other readers praise this author and her books which put this book on my radar almost instantly.  I knew after reading the summary that this was going to be a read that might be difficult at times and I was completely right.  But it was also so completely worth it as I'm still sitting here thinking about it a week later.  It was a book that had me close to tears at times.  It was a book that I wanted to throw at others out of frustration at the characters.  It was a book that I just could not set down and ultimately it was a book that I won't be forgetting any time soon.  

What else to say without saying too much?  For me the saddest part of this book was how all of this affected the children.  Too often people fail to realize how much their actions effect their children in negative ways and this was all too apparent in this book.  When I was close to tears while reading this book it was because of the children and what they were going through.  Yes I struggled with both Ben and even Maddie at times.  Because they were missing the most important piece of the puzzle and that was how their relationship was effecting the children.  I could go on and on with this subject but for me this was the part of the book that made me the saddest.   This was a book that you couldn't help but relate to on some level even if you don't have the kind of relationship that Ben and Maddie had.  Every relationship has a struggle here and there and the idea that one stupid mistake could cause such tragedy is a terrifying thing to think about.  This book was also so completely readable.  I found myself unable to put it down....even when I wanted to at times.  It took such a serious subject and really made me think of how I would react.  It just made me feel and it was such a mix of emotions.  I really liked the ending of this book because it didn't give you any easy answers.  When something like this happens there aren't any and the author didn't try to wrap everything up with a bow.  We were left with hope for the future of these characters but no final answers.  It worked perfectly for me.

Overall, this was one of those books that left me thinking about it days after I finished.  It wasn't an easy read but it was a very good read.  I'm glad that I listened to all of the other readers/bloggers out there that have sung this author's praises.  I'm eager to read more of her books myself now!  If I can tell you anything about this book is don't let the subject matter throw you off from giving this one a try.  It is a book that will make you feel and connect with and really that is exactly what a good book should do in my opinion.  Easily recommended!

Bottom Line:  A book that made me feel all of the emotions and left me eager to discuss with otherS!

Disclosure:  I received a copy of this book courtesy of the publisher as part of a TLC book tour.  Thoughts are my own!

 

3 comments:

  1. I can imagine this was an intense read. Really glad to hear you enjoyed this read. I have read one of her books and liked it a lot so I'll definitely have to add this one to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this one on my wishlist! I read The Comfort of Lies recently--I'm a fan of Randy Susan Meyers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an emotional one, especially concerning the children. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)