Thursday, September 25, 2014

Dark Skye by Kresley Cole (thoughts)

I'm going to start my review on this book with my final thoughts:  I absolutely don't read enough paranormal romance!  And this book made me wonder why as I just gobbled it up!  This book was one of those perfect reads where you read it at exactly the right time.  I had been in the mood for a good romance (but haven't read that many this year so far) and liked the sound of this one.  Two families that hate each other with an intense history of violence?  A hero and heroine who once shared a secret relationship when they were younger but now cannot stand one another?  Yes please!  I knew that this was going to be my kind of romance and it certainly was!

In this book, Melanthe and Thronos had a secret friendship when they were very young.  A violent past though tore their relationship apart and caused them both to hate the other in every way possible.  The fact that Thronos knows that Melanthe is his fated mate means that he cannot leave her alone even if he hates her for all that she has done to him.  Melanthe's childhood experiences have caused her to despise all Vrekeners but especially her ex-childhood friend Thronos.  When they are thrown together and forced to survive in different worlds, they will begin to rediscover some of their past history finding that everything that they both believed in might not be the truth.  Will love find a way to reunite them??? 

Okay so I've got to admit that I was easily rooting for these two from the very beginning of this book.  I am such a sucker for a romance where the hero/heroine hate each other.  I love the slow build up to where that hate turns to passion.  I especially like when they resist each other for some time....it comes across more believable then when one just rolls over and falls madly in love for no reason.  Give me a book like this anytime and I will be hooked!  I thought the author did a really great job of setting all of these different obstacles between them especially with their shared history.  I also appreciated that their relationship slowly began to build and simmer.  It made it that much more steamier when it finally happened in my opinion :)  And this was definitely one of those books that I couldn't set down.  I found myself skimming at times just so that I could see what was going to happen next.  Then I would go back and reread just to make sure that I hadn't missed anything.  This is my first book by this author which means that I started yet again in the middle of a long standing series.  It didn't matter in the slightest.  I really appreciated that this book felt like a stand-alone novel even though now I know I have lots of good books to look forward to!  My only complaint with this book is in regards to the ending.  I feel like it wrapped up a little too fast and left more open than I would have liked.  Does this mean that we will have another book featuring Thronos and Lanthe?  I don't know but I do know that I would really like it if we did.  Overall though, even though I was left wanting more it didn't really detract from my reading experience all that much. 

This book has me eager to start at the beginning of this fourteen plus book series!  If they are all this good then I will certainly be in for a treat.  I really loved this book!  The connection between Thronos and Lanthe was something that I couldn't get enough of.  The best thing about finally trying this author's books though is just knowing that I have so many more to look forward to.  I can't wait!  And like I said before, I'm eager to try some new paranormal romance series out just to see what else I have been missing.  What other paranormal romance series are out there that you can't get enough of??  Please share as I need more books like this in my life!  Highly recommended but especially to romance fans and fans of the paranormal. 

Bottom Line:  A slow building romance led up to a GREAT read for me!

Disclosure:  I received a copy of this book thanks to the publisher.  Thoughts are my own!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed this book so much, Sam. Your enthusiasm is terrific, and you are a wonderful reading role model for your kids. I have not read much paranormal romance so I can't give you any recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the Kresley Cole books I have read and am glad you enjoyed this one so much. It does sound good!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)