Sunday, November 10, 2013

The Sunday Salon: Let's Talk Books


Let's talk books today, shall we?  I have been such a bad, lazy blogger as of late with no real good excuses except work, work, work.  But while I may have been a bad blogger, I have been a much better reader which means I'm even more behind in reviews.  I'm going to try and not dwell on that though because since I'm feeling slightly more motivated than usual I have hopes to knock out a few today.  A girl can hope and dream, can't she??

Besides writing up some reviews I'm hoping to share a book haul post.  I know that I KEEP saying that I'm going on a book ban (and I really, really am) but sometimes I just cannot resist.  And really who can stop themselves from browsing anyways?  It isn't my fault that they seem to all come home with me afterwards, is it?  My shelves blame me though so I am absolutely, definitely, positively banning myself from book buying after this.  FOR REAL THIS TIME!  So anyways look for that post soon too.  But onwards to the books I have been reading as of late.  Here are the books that I finished last week:



The Last Winter of Dani Lancing by P.D. Viner was an intense, dark thriller but it left me with a few mixed feelings at the end.  I'm not sure if the author is planning on making this into a series (I definitely think that he probably could) but I would read more by this author without hesitation.  I'm hoping to write up my thoughts on this one for this week, and I'm eager to see what other readers think about this book.

Forgiving Lies by Molly McAdams was my very first foray into the New Adult genre but it won't be my last!  It was both cute and fun at times but with very serious undertones.  The ending was disappointing but I will talk about that more in my review which will be up tomorrow as part of a TLC book tour.  I liked it enough that I will be picking up the next book for sure!

Blood Bound by Patricia Briggs was a reread for me and absolutely, positively just as good as the first time that I read it.  I actually managed to read this one in less than two days which just goes to show you how unputdownable I find these books to be.  I can't wait to move on to the next book (the last book for me to reread) so that I can move on farther into this series.

Finally, I finished on audio Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling this week.  I cannot tell you guys how much I am loving listening to these books on audio!  The narrator does a fantastic job and I find myself completely immersed once again in Harry's world.  In fact, I'm a bit nervous about continuing to listen to this series at work because I'm convinced that I will find myself listening while crying at my desk during the sad parts.  LOL!  I'm sure you can imagine how that will look to my coworkers :)

This week I'm currently reading the following books:


I haven't even cracked open The Stranger You Know but I will hopefully later on today.  I'm reading this book as part of a TLC book tour as well so I need to get moving on it.  I have been failing miserably with my reading plans so far in November (meaning not reading ANY of my e-books) but I'm hoping to really make some progress with A Study in Silks this week.  On audio, I'm currently listening to All Around the Town by Mary Higgins Clark.  I used to read this author all of the time before I started blogging and listening to this book has reminded me why. It is both creepy and tense and I'm loving the narrator for this one as well.  I'm still sticking with listening to audiobooks of books that I have already read so this week at the library I grabbed Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn and Rapture in Death by J.D. Robb for future listens.  I can't wait to re-experience them both!

Today I'm hoping to fit in a lot of review writing, some commenting/blog visiting, and lots of laundry.  Hopefully I will also manage to fit some reading in between all of this.  I hope you guys have a great week and an amazing Sunday!

Happy Reading!

5 comments:

  1. Sam, go easy on yourself. It's really amazing how much reading you're able to fit in, with such a demanding schedule. And who can resist all the tempting books out here, even with a self-inflicted book ban?! You can only do so much, and it's probably better to read at a comfortable pace, rather than rushing through the pages. Anyway, good luck with your reading, and I hope you have time to just relax, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you've got a lot of great books going. I know, I can never stick to my book bans so I stopped trying. I cried plenty while reading the Harry Potter books! Enjoy your books and have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read The Stranger You Know this summer and thought it was a fast-paced read. If I remember correctly it's part of a series and I did feel a bit like I would have enjoyed it more if I had read it from the beginning. Hope you enjoy it and all of your books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am reading A Study of Silks at the moment. After racing my way through several other books, this one has forced me to slow down some. I don't know if it's the book itself or just me needing to slow down.

    I have all the CD's for the Harry Potter series and really want to revisit the series by listening to them. One of these days . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Harry Potter on audio. They are awesome! I've got the first two books I think on audio and plan on getting the rest.

    You're hooked on buying books and me audiobooks. Lol. I've found lately that I have to write a review almost right after I listen or read a book otherwise it gets left and then I can't remember enough detail about the book. I did that with a few and now I'll have to listen to them again.

    Happy reading! Looks like you have a lot of good books to catch up on.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)