Monday, September 6, 2010

Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder


Summary from Goodreads:

"Choose....A quick death....Or slow poison....

About to be executed for murder, Yelena is offered an extraordinary reprieve. She'll eat the best meals, have rooms in the palace-and risk assassination by anyone trying to kill the Commander of Ixia.

And so Yelena chooses to become a food taster. But the chief of security, leaving nothing to chance, deliberately feeds her Butterfly's Dust-and only by appearing for her daily antidote will she delay an agonizing death from the poison."

My Thoughts:

Loved it! This is one of those books that instantly pulls you in and I was caught up in Yelena's world and the difficulties she faced from the very beginning. Yelena was a very interesting character to read about. She is facing death every single day and she doesn't crumble. Instead she tries to figure out ways in which to escape and make a better life for herself. The reader is only given pieces at a time of Yelena's life prior to being jailed which kept my curiousity throughout the book. I wanted to know what had happened and how it related to everything that Yelena was now experiencing. The book itself was easy to read, captivating, and when I finished I instantly wanted more. By far my favorite parts of this book were the characters and the world building. I was transported while reading this book into Yelena's world and the life that she was living which made it a great read for me! I can't seem to say enough good things about this book so I'll end it with this being one of those books that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

Final Thoughts: Maria V. Snyder has created a world that I couldn't get enough of- I'm super excited to continue on with this trilogy and see how Yelena continues to face the difficulties that lay before her.

Disclosure: Another book from my local library.
*I read this book for the following challenges:
New Author Challenge
100+ Reading Challenge
Once Upon a Time Challenge III (how am I still reviewing books for this?)
Fantasy Reading Challenge
Support Your Library Reading Challenge
"P" Title for A-Z Challenge (personal)

4 comments:

  1. YES! So glad you read and loved it. It's one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa- Are the rest of the books in this trilogy as good as this one?? If so then I am even more excited to continue on :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really interesting! Yelena does sound like a good heroine to read.
    Great review.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Naida- This is one that I KNOW you would enjoy! Seriously, you should give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)