Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

From Barnes and Noble website:
"Melinda Sordino busted an end-of-summer party by calling the cops. Now her old friends won't talk to her, and people she doesn't even know hate her from a distance. The safest place is to be alone, inside her own head. But even that's not safe. Because there's something that she is trying not to think about, something about the night of the party that, if she let it in, would blow her carefully constructed disguise to smithereens. And then she would have to speak the truth."

My thoughts:

Wow! This book really struck a chord with me and even though I read it a couple of months ago, I'm not having any problems remembering the reasons why. The main reason that I enjoyed this book was because of Melinda. Melinda was such a realistic character and one that I, as the reader, couldn't help but connect with. She had her reasons for not speaking and sadly there was no one around her that really picked up on the fact that she was talking less and less or really not at all. Her parents were absorbed in themselves and their own problems and with her friends not speaking to her...well, there wasn't anyone that she could really turn to. I loved that she began to find an outlet to express herself in art. I just plain loved Melinda. She reminded me of the teenager I once was and while I didn't have the issues that she did, I still was easily able to relate to what she was going through. Which is what makes Laurie Halse Anderson such an amazing author as she has created such a realistic character that the reader understands. I couldn't help but understand why Melinda was acting and reacting the way she was especially as I read further into the story. Such an amazing book!

All in all, this was an amazing read and one that I will be reading again in the future. Even though I didn't make a top ten for 2009 (too lazy), this is definitely one book that would have been on it. I'll be recommending this one to any teenager that I come across as well as to all of you book readers out there :) And I will definitely be checking out this author's backlist and reading more by Anderson.

Speak was an honor book for the Printz Award in 2000.
P.S.- I read this one last year but am working on catching up with some of the many reviews that I have left over from 2009. I'm still currently reading The House of Riverton by Kate Morton for my 1st book of 2010.

14 comments:

  1. Oh...I loved this book!! I thought it was great! I've read a couple of Halse Anderson's since (Twisted for one). This was still the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like enjoyed this as much as I did :) I hope you read more by her. Catalyst is set in the same school but with different characters.

    I hope you enjoy The House of Riverton more than I did, I was really bored by it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great, will be adding this to my list for sure. I enjoying adding ones from years ago that I missed out on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with your review..this book is phenomenal!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! This sounds like a great book. Thank you for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stephanie- I believe you on this one...it probably is the best of all of her books. But I still want more :)

    Rhinoa- I'm enjoying The House of Riverton so far and haven't been bored yet so I must like it more than you did :) I'll have to check out Catalyst!

    MarceJ- You most definitely should read this one..it is a winner!

    Staci- Why thank you :)

    Suko- I know that you would like this one. You should give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book sounds amazing. I especially like the way you described the development of the main character. I need to read this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stephanie- You most certainly do need to read this soon..LOL! Seriously, it will be worth your while :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this one too. I think LHA really writes teenagers well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lisa- She did a wonderful job of writing about teenagers and making it feel realistic. Glad to hear that you enjoyed this book as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed this book quite a bit and I can't wait to talk about it for book club later this month. I am also looking forward to reading more from Laurie Halse Anderson.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read this book a few years ago for an adolescent literature class in grad school, and I was so glad to be introduced to Anderson's work. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've seen part of the movie based on this book but I haven't had a chance to read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nicole- She seems to be quite the talented author. I'm hoping to read Wintergirls at some point this year.

    Andi- It is good stuff...or at least this book is. I guess I need to read more by her before I say that she is amazing and all that. But this book is really, really good IMO!

    Ladytink- I didn't know that there was a movie based off the book...what's the name of the movie?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)